The Student Room Group

A Level Essay Advice (English & Politics).

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone had any good advice on how to write an A Level standard essay. Currently still apparently writing at GCSE standard and need help on how to progress and write in a more "academic fashion".

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I take A-level politics, and in year 13. What I can say about politics is I am doing the new spec and so will you so I can give you advice.
First start with an introduction; the best thing you can do is summarise points you will talk about and define key terms. Do NOT spend a long time trying to perfect it, move on.
I would say have 6 paragraphs- 3 agree and 3 disagree.
Each paragraph should have a definitive arguments, it is very easy to just describe in politics, do not just describe (for example do not explain FPTP the whole paragraph talk about its EFFECTS things it produces why is this a good thing or bad thing for the UK? ). Bring in arguments and opinions that links with the question. Bring in wider knowledge, bigger concepts such as democracy and participation for example. ALWAYS refer to the question each paragraph or it will look like you’re not answering it. Make sure you bring in keywords (AND EXPLAIN THEM and then refer to your argument you’re making or the question). Each paragraph should have an example or examples to back your point, this is where you use the case studies in your textbook or google some. Then you do a counter-argument. For example the first paragraph is arguing that FPTP is good for stable government, the second paragraph should be how it can stop a stable and strong government. This is true analysation, because you’re taking a concept and you’re stating different views. Make it balanced so the amount of detail for both sides should be kind of equal, then make a mini conclusion between the agree and disagree you just made. Do this for the other agree and disagree arguments throughout. Be consistent. Then do a final conclusion, summarising what you’ve said in a few lines and making a clear judgement by straight up answering yes or no to the question.

Just practise and make loads of essay plans!!! Hope it helped
Original post by Tamtam6301
I take A-level politics, and in year 13. What I can say about politics is I am doing the new spec and so will you so I can give you advice.
First start with an introduction; the best thing you can do is summarise points you will talk about and define key terms. Do NOT spend a long time trying to perfect it, move on.
I would say have 6 paragraphs- 3 agree and 3 disagree.
Each paragraph should have a definitive arguments, it is very easy to just describe in politics, do not just describe (for example do not explain FPTP the whole paragraph talk about its EFFECTS things it produces why is this a good thing or bad thing for the UK? ). Bring in arguments and opinions that links with the question. Bring in wider knowledge, bigger concepts such as democracy and participation for example. ALWAYS refer to the question each paragraph or it will look like you’re not answering it. Make sure you bring in keywords (AND EXPLAIN THEM and then refer to your argument you’re making or the question). Each paragraph should have an example or examples to back your point, this is where you use the case studies in your textbook or google some. Then you do a counter-argument. For example the first paragraph is arguing that FPTP is good for stable government, the second paragraph should be how it can stop a stable and strong government. This is true analysation, because you’re taking a concept and you’re stating different views. Make it balanced so the amount of detail for both sides should be kind of equal, then make a mini conclusion between the agree and disagree you just made. Do this for the other agree and disagree arguments throughout. Be consistent. Then do a final conclusion, summarising what you’ve said in a few lines and making a clear judgement by straight up answering yes or no to the question.

Just practise and make loads of essay plans!!! Hope it helped

Hi there,
Am in yr 12 and currently studying politics, history and sociology. I find politics a little bit tricky and since you are in yr13 plus more experienced, would you mind sending me some Essays for UK politics? I would be so grateful, please
Original post by massive32
Hi there,
Am in yr 12 and currently studying politics, history and sociology. I find politics a little bit tricky and since you are in yr13 plus more experienced, would you mind sending me some Essays for UK politics? I would be so grateful, please

I do not write out essays. I do detailed notes where I type things from the textbook - class notes and videos on the topic - then I do some essay plans to go with them. I can send you those but they may not work for you- Do you want me to send you them anyway? At first you start writing out essays but when you get to year 13 you will get better and revise from basic essay plans! do not stress
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry for replying late. I have been going through a lot of calamities but I think am settled now. I would be so grateful if you send me your notes and for component 1 and 2. I feel like am slacking down for politics. If you send me your notes it would save my life. Please, thanks a lot for the advice. I think its time for me to change my revision methods for politics as it doesn't work
(Original post by Tamtam6301)
Reply 6

If you don't mind me asking, what awarding body are you with?
Original post by Tolgarda

Edexcel. why?
Reply 8
Original post by massive32
Edexcel. why?

I have a friend that is studying the Edexcel spec in the lower sixth, and they are finding it slightly difficult. Are you doing USA or global politics for your third paper?
yes. before picking politics I got many warnings. now I have to suffer with it but hopefully, I will be done with it. But I will be doing USA and global politics next yr as am in yr 12
(Original post by Tolgarda)I have a friend that is studying the Edexcel spec in the lower sixth, and they are finding it slightly difficult. Are you doing USA or global politics for your third paper?
Original post by Tolgarda

Edexcel
Edexcel

Thanks, two weeks after. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest