V1450 – Christmas Day (Trading) Hours Bill 2019 (Second Reading) Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (16)
32.65%
Of the contrary, no (25)
51.02%
Abstain (8)
16.33%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
V1450 – Christmas Day (Trading) Hours Bill 2019 (Second Reading), TSR Libertarian Party
Christmas Day (Trading) Hours Bill 2019

An Act to allow businesses to decide their opening hours on Christmas

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Repeals
(1) The Christmas Day (Trading) Act 2004 is hereby repealed.

2. Notice of objection to Christmas working

(1)A shop worker or betting worker to whom this section applies may at any time give his employer written notice, signed and dated by the shop worker or betting worker, to the effect that he objects to Christmas working.

(2)In this Act “opting-out notice” means a notice given under subsection (1) by a shop worker or betting worker to whom this section applies.

(3)This section applies to any shop worker or betting worker who under his contract of employment—

(a)is or may be required to work on Christmas (whether or not as a result of previously giving an opting-in notice), but

(b)is not employed to work only on Christmas.

3.Short title, Commencement, Extent
(1) This act may be cited as the Christmas Day (Trading) Hours Act 2019
(2) This act comes into force upon Royal Assent
(3) This act extends to the UK

Notes
Christmas Day (Trading) Act prohibits large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) from opening on Christmas Day.

We believe that the limit the on business hours in the modern times is archaic and distinctly anti-business. Business should be free to decide their opening hours.

Many small businesses like convenience stores, pubs and restaurants will be open on Christmas. It's only fair large businesses have the right to be open on that day.

Repeals
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/26/contents

Changes
*Added opt out scheme
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No for repealing days off for workers.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
No for repealing days off for workers.
Did you read section 2?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Did you read section 2?
Yes
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes
So you realise that workers do still get the day off, if they submit written notice?

Its inane to oppose this from a pro-working class point of view, they can still get the day off if they want it under this bill, but unlike the status quo they will have the opportunity to work on this day and make more money if they want to. This adds more choice for workers not less.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you realise that workers do still get the day off, if they submit written notice?

Its inane to oppose this from a pro-working class point of view, they can still get the day off if they want it under this bill, but unlike the status quo they will have the opportunity to work on this day and make more money if they want to. This adds more choice for workers not less.
I think that was a good thing to add for the second reading, but I am still voting no, because I think there should be some days off which are universal, and people should not be pressured into working because of their desperation of whatever.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye; I believe this will give businesses greater freedom, whilst making sufficient provisions for the protection of worker rights.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think that was a good thing to add for the second reading, but I am still voting no, because I think there should be some days off which are universal, and people should not be pressured into working because of their desperation of whatever.
Christmas isn’t a universal day off anyway, read the bill, all this bill does is brings the rules for large employers in line with that for small shops and business, who can already open on Christmas Day.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Christmas isn’t a universal day off anyway, read the bill, all this bill does is brings the rules for large employers in line with that for small shops and business, who can already open on Christmas Day.
I think large corporations already have a much bigger advantage though, so I don’t see the sense in passing this.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, absolutely support this bill
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye i support this bill, personally see no fault in it.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can see your bill splitting, this should have been done as one.

Nay though.

Christmas should remain protected.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think large corporations already have a much bigger advantage though, so I don’t see the sense in passing this.
Do you honestly believe that small businesses competing with large businesses are going to struggle on Christmas? Most small businesses already compete with large businesses on a daily basis and are making profit, if they were to shut down they would have done so already.

Secondly, most people in christmas would rather go to a pub/restaurant and spend time with families than to go shopping to a large retail shop. So these small businesses would in fact do well and will not suffer from the competition of large shops.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I can see your bill splitting, this should have been done as one.

Nay though.

Christmas should remain protected.
Christmas isn't exactly protected. If you read the notes small businesses are open on Christmas. This simply brings the rules for larger businesses in line with that of smaller shops.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
Do you honestly believe that small businesses competing with large businesses are going to struggle on Christmas? Most small businesses already compete with large businesses on a daily basis and are making profit, if they were to shut down they would have done so already.

Secondly, most people in christmas would rather go to a pub/restaurant and spend time with families than to go shopping to a large retail shop. So these small businesses would in fact do well and will not suffer from the competition of large shops.
I think they will struggle on Christmas if this bill is passed.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think they will struggle on Christmas if this bill is passed.
Why? I have already explained they won't.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
Why? I have already explained they won't.
I don’t think your explanation is right because in my opinion advertising and consumerism will mean people will be attracted by the large retailers.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, some things should remain immune from our consumerist culture. Christmas is a time for families and friends to come together and no-one who isn't essential (ie emergency services) should have to work on it - while there is provision for workers to request Christmas Day off, I suspect that many will not exercise their right to do this due to perceived pressure from bosses or coworkers.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, because the sacred nature of Christmas and Easter should be protected by limiting the number of people who work to as few as possible, especially when it only serves to promote consumerism rather than provide essential services.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay I disapprove of the limited protections for workers
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads