Can I drive without rear brake pads to drive the car shop to buy new ones ? Watch

Mike172
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I still don't know why you don't just get yourself on eurocarparts, order a couple of sets of pads and spend an hour fitting them?

Problem solved.

If you knew your pads were getting low you had plenty of time to get it sorted. Now you're going to have spend extra getting the discs replaced.
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mike172)
I still don't know why you don't just get yourself on eurocarparts, order a couple of sets of pads and spend an hour fitting them?

Problem solved.

If you knew your pads were getting low you had plenty of time to get it sorted. Now you're going to have spend extra getting the discs replaced.
How do you know it needs discs ? I think the noise from the brakes only started as I got home
Mike172
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't know if you need new discs. But if your pads are so worn you can hear metal on metal you likely do. If they are lightly scored you might get away with it but don't drive it until you've replaced the pads.

It's a simple job, no idea why you wouldn't just get it done. Pads cost a pitence in the grand scheme of things.
RedGiant
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My friend did this, except it was his front brakes (which I think are more important than the back brakes anyway). He thought that he'd just not get into an accident and that it would be all fine, but on the way to the garage (about 10 miles away) he oversteered a sharp bend and collided with another car. I'm not sure what happened exactly, although I don't think the insurance company paid out (might have been for a different reason). He got in trouble with the police though.

But yeah like others have said, why not save yourself the hassle and just get what you need from eurocarparts, its a pretty simple job anyways.
Last edited by RedGiant; 2 weeks ago
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
How do you know it needs discs ? I think the noise from the brakes only started as I got home
I'm really getting sick of your ridiculous posts now. Either you're trolling or you just shouldn't be allowed to own a car.

To read that you were warned about your brakes at your last MOT and that you ignored the advice sickens me.

Sell your car to a scrappy and stick to taking the bus.

Clever boy? I don't think so.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
because they were not bad enough to fail, duh

Define ''professionally serviced '' 🤔
Given they were on their way out and given if you were keeping the car they would need replaced anyway, the obvious move was to have done them then, they may well outlive the car given its age so getting full use of the new ones you were likely going to need to buy anyway would have made sense.

Now you may have damaged the disks, so what was mere pad replacement (wheel removal and frankly at worst an hour's work for the pair, likely even less if nothing being difficult) could now be pad replacement and disk replacement, frankly that is a slightly different level of work possibly caused by your not acting in a preventative manner.

The phrase penny wise pound foolish springs to mind.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
What happens if on your way back, with required parts on seat of car or in boot, you have an accident and hurt someone? Tricky defence arguing you were unaware of brake issue with required parts sitting in the car and possible bank transaction clearly showing you just purchased the parts; you are then possibly straying into criminal negligence etc .

I would get someone else to drive you there and back for peace of mind, you could have really serious issues if there is an accident; it is likely not worth the risk.
Exactly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60.17%
No (143)
39.83%

Watched Threads