The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Applied Computational Science and Engineering

I just got accepted to the program, if someone is accepted also it will be great to be in contact.
Hi, I can also confirm I got accepted to the program. Happy to keep in touch!

(Original post by vb9)I just got accepted to the program, if someone is accepted also it will be great to be in contact.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hello..I'm currently applying for the program and I would like to know what the interview stage is about. Thanks
Oh most likely they will ask you about your competency to do the course (essentially, your motivations and a programming question)
Original post by hpc1
Hello..I'm currently applying for the program and I would like to know what the interview stage is about. Thanks
Reply 4
Thanks so much. I just concluded the interview. How long did it take form the interview stage before you got admitted?
Original post by Sharkindustries
Oh most likely they will ask you about your competency to do the course (essentially, your motivations and a programming question)
Reply 5
Hi there. I just got an interview offer. Would you please share more details about the interview? Should I be nervous and do a lot of preparation or is it informal and easy? Did you get any difficult questions? Thanks a lot!
Around 2 weeks or so.
Original post by hpc1
Thanks so much. I just concluded the interview. How long did it take form the interview stage before you got admitted?
Reply 7
Sorry for intruding on this. My daughter got accepted on this course last week but is snowed under in the last year of her degree with her Dis and exams etc so I'm trying to get some information for her with regard to funding, jobs and accommodation.

Is there anywhere for postgrads to look for part time job opportunites at Imperial? Where do postgrads tend to go or look for accomodation?

Thanks
Hi Tabath,

Sorry for the late reply, did not get a notification and hence did not check.

With regards to funding, I think masters have loans upto £11k, though remember that just the tution fees for this programme is £12500( assuming she is a "home/EEA" student). I would recommend a budget of around at least £21-22k, could be more dependent on her lifestyle.

Accommodation arrangements by Imperial for postgraduates are appallingly poor unless you can afford Gradpad (which is £13k for the year on the cheapest option) . Alternatively, she could live in a privately rented shared student home or a private student halls (which are again not cheap). There might be cheaper options in Eastern side of the city but the stigma regarding its safety from that part might be offputting.

I was extremely lucky in that regard that my friend's mum living in Purley offered me to live with them for just £1k for the year (though that would still cost me around £3k just for transport). If your family happen to live in London, I would strongly suggest that she should commute instead as it would be far cheaper and much more mangeable.

Part time jobs are available, specially in the museums nearby but masters is so much more intensive and there is a lot less free time so they say its ill advised to look for a part time job . Specially as there are more coursework heavy modules as opposed to exams with a more rigid and short term deadlines ( I think there are only 3 exams for the whole year,1 of them in Jan and 2 in summer).

Career wise however, as I went to the applicant visit day I discovered that there were strong prospects that not only that a lot of masters projects are given by companies and that they would then subsequntly hire specifically that student from that project if the work is satisfactory enough. It was apparently designed upon request from employers (according to Dr. Gorman, the course co-ordinator). Imperial's reputation is on par with the likes of Oxbridge so I think in terms of career it is a brilliant option.

If I may, would it be possible for your daughter to DM me if she is certain about doing this, as I am unaware of anyone else doing this course and would love to get in touch with someone just so we both would know someone else who is on the same boat.

SK

Original post by Tabath
Sorry for intruding on this. My daughter got accepted on this course last week but is snowed under in the last year of her degree with her Dis and exams etc so I'm trying to get some information for her with regard to funding, jobs and accommodation.

Is there anywhere for postgrads to look for part time job opportunites at Imperial? Where do postgrads tend to go or look for accomodation?

Thanks
Reply 9
Hi, I also got accepted to the program. Happy to stay in touch!
Original post by vb9
I just got accepted to the program, if someone is accepted also it will be great to be in contact.
Reply 10
Hi Tabath,

With regards to funding, I think masters have loans upto £11k, though remember that just the tution fees for this programme is £12500( assuming she is a "home/EEA" student). I would recommend a budget of around at least £21-22k, could be more dependent on her lifestyle.

Accommodation arrangements by Imperial for postgraduates are appallingly poor unless you can afford Gradpad (which is £13k for the year on the cheapest option) . Alternatively, she could live in a privately rented shared student home or a private student halls (which are again not cheap). There might be cheaper options in Eastern side of the city but the stigma regarding its safety from that part might be offputting.

I was extremely lucky in that regard that my friend's mum living in Purley offered me to live with them for just £1k for the year (though that would still cost me around £3k just for transport). If your family happen to live in London, I would strongly suggest that she should commute instead as it would be far cheaper and much more mangeable.

Part time jobs are available, specially in the museums nearby but masters is so much more intensive and there is a lot less free time so they say its ill advised to look for a part time job . Specially as there are more coursework heavy modules as opposed to exams with a more rigid and short term deadlines ( I think there are only 3 exams for the whole year,1 of them in Jan and 2 in summer).

Career wise however, as I went to the applicant visit day I discovered that there were strong prospects that not only that a lot of masters projects are given by companies and that they would then subsequntly hire specifically that student from that project if the work is satisfactory enough. It was apparently designed upon request from employers (according to Dr. Gorman, the course co-ordinator). Imperial's reputation is on par with the likes of Oxbridge so I think in terms of career it is a brilliant option.

If I may, would it be possible for your daughter to DM me if she is certain about doing this, as I am unaware of anyone else doing this course and would love to get in touch with someone just so we both would know someone else who is on the same boat.

SK

Hi SK

I will pass your request onto my daughter, she has just about completed her dissertation and will be starting exams soon , no doubt she will then start thinking about the MSc preparations.
Original post by berylhsu
Hi there. I just got an interview offer. Would you please share more details about the interview? Should I be nervous and do a lot of preparation or is it informal and easy? Did you get any difficult questions? Thanks a lot!

Original post by BrianLiu
Hi, I also got accepted to the program. Happy to stay in touch!

Original post by Tabath
Hi SK

I will pass your request onto my daughter, she has just about completed her dissertation and will be starting exams soon , no doubt she will then start thinking about the MSc preparations.

Hi all, I hope you are well.

I have received an interview offer for this course, can anybody share info about what to expect?

Thanks
Hi Tabath,

SK

Original post by hpc1

Original post by vb9

Do you mind sharing if there were technical questions in the interview? or was it all competency?
Reply 13
Hello all,I just had an interview with Dr Gorman. He told me I am going to be notified about the decision soon. Has anyone received acceptance on the actual interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending