The Student Room Group

Advice on how to stop binge eating

Will put spoiler as eating disorder related

Spoiler

Limit what you eat. Every time you feel hungry ask yourself if you want an apple. If the answer is no then you are probably just bored.

Change to healthier food ish. You don’t have to go wild on veg and fruit but swap some cake for rice crackers.

Try foods that fill you up after only eating a little. Use Google.

Start exercising it makes you happy.

Try meditation and mindfulness.

Good luck!
Are you receiving help for your other MH issues?
Original post by 12aissid
Are you receiving help for your other MH issues?

Not yet but have initial appointments they just aren’t for a while
I have the same problem. The issue? Nobody takes it seriously because im the perfect weight. :/
Reply 5
Tuna and rice works for me... fills you up but little weight gain. Plus.... is very healthy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheJohnM
I have the same problem. The issue? Nobody takes it seriously because im the perfect weight. :/

I get what you mean. I also find people don't take it seriously as they just think that you mean that you ate a few too many cookies one night. At my worst I could eat 5 donuts, 5 brownies and more in one sitting yet nothing would stop the urge to eat
Drink water! Do that every time you get the urge to binge because it’ll fill you up and it’s zero calories. Also dehydration can increase feelings of hunger sometimes too.
Reply 8
When will you be seeing someone for your mental health? Do they know you struggle with binge eating?
Reply 9
Original post by StormyOcean
I get what you mean. I also find people don't take it seriously as they just think that you mean that you ate a few too many cookies one night. At my worst I could eat 5 donuts, 5 brownies and more in one sitting yet nothing would stop the urge to eat

Choose your munchies more selectively. Tuna, rice and a pint of water. Can't eat doughnuts if already full... simples.
(edited 5 years ago)
I will share this with you as I can't offer you my unhealthy solutions.
GET A NEW HOBBY!

Honestly, I had the same problem and I tried everything. Drinking water, negotiating with myself, asking myself if I am hungry, rationalising and other mindful techniques. It was all bs. At the end, I would be like f*** it and just binge eat.

Then I changed my lifestyle. Started going out more. Started studying in the library instead of at home. Started watching netflix with friends so I wouldn't eat by myself. and started taking dance and piano classes. Once I got myself busy, things changed for the better. So my advice from personal experience would be: GET BUSY and don't be alone for too long. Good luck!
Original post by batter mix
GET A NEW HOBBY!

Honestly, I had the same problem and I tried everything. Drinking water, negotiating with myself, asking myself if I am hungry, rationalising and other mindful techniques. It was all bs. At the end, I would be like f*** it and just binge eat.

Then I changed my lifestyle. Started going out more. Started studying in the library instead of at home. Started watching netflix with friends so I wouldn't eat by myself. and started taking dance and piano classes. Once I got myself busy, things changed for the better. So my advice from personal experience would be: GET BUSY and don't be alone for too long. Good luck!

Agreed... plus tuna and rice is very yummy. More so than doughnuts!
@Vinny C What's with you and tuna and rice? Is this some kind of weird obsession I am not getting?
also, I turned vegan, so that helped a lot. Can't find many processed vegan foods and too lazy to cook.

Please dont @ me for being vegan.
Original post by StormyOcean

You’re weak!

Try:

2 full tubs of Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough
6 chocolate kinder bueons
Big bar of chocolate galaxy
6 packs of prawn cocktail crisps

...this was at my worst btw. I would eat all that in less than 1 hour
Original post by TheJohnM
You’re weak!

Try:

2 full tubs of Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough
6 chocolate kinder bueons