NCS or Summer Job? Watch

aesthetix
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm not sure if I should try and get a job over the summer after GCSEs, or do NCS. Most of my friends are doing the latter and I don't want to feel left out when we come back for sixth form in September.

At the same time, there are a few conferences and things that I'd like to go to that I wouldn't have the chance to attend if I did NCS. As well as this, there's the obvious advantage of earning money if I got a job, but I would be willing to sacrifice this if NCS was truly a worthwhile experience.

Any thoughts?

(Also, if anyone has any recommendations for summer work / jobs or places that are likely to take me on it would be much appreciated!)
Deggs_14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did NCS and I’m actually embarrassed that I did it. Yes, it’s a good way to meet new people and maybe get some more Instagram followers, but I found the whole experience rather belittling and a wage of time. It’s poorly organised and run by university students who want to earn money in the summer, since finishing, I’ve been to three job interviews at Waitrose, Next and Tesco, they had no idea what it was and weren’t impressed by it. You’re much bette of attending lectures and conferences which is excellent to put on your CV or any job/university application, and it’s great to earn a bit of money and have some self independence. Obviously I’m not saying don’t do NCS, but it seemed more of a way to mix people of different socio-economic backgrounds and school types than actually benefitting yourself.
ebeck7049
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i did ncs and it was probably the best 4 weeks of my life, you gain so much experience i really recommend doing it as it is a once in a life time opportunity, just enjoy your summer because its such a long summer, maybe look for a job in september (thats what i did aha)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Revengrrs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Lol I got fired from my job bc I did ncs instead and it took too much of summer. Ncs was good but it’s cringe. Get a job and earn them £££
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Wirefox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did NCS, and quite frankly it has never been something that anyone is impressed by or mentioned. It seems to be something that we all slip into the end of personal statements in order to show a different non academic side!

The jobs I’ve done have always been more interesting and also money! Though they do sometimes feel a chore even when you haven’t got anything better to do.

Having said that, NCS is great for making friends and 3/4 weeks of just chilling for a pretty good price! I enjoyed it a lot, and met some lovely people (though I’m not really in contact with them anymore). Overall I don’t think it’s the biggest choice you’ll ever have to make and both options are good ways to spend the summer!
rozinaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If I could go back in time, I would definitely get a job. Sure, the NCS experience looks great on my CV, but I actually haven't got a job because of NCS. I think I'd have been better off volunteering at shops in my area and eventually getting a job that way.
fasteddy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm not sure if you have already decided but both are good options! NCS is fun and a great way to meet other people. Or there are also lots of short term summer jobs abroad - depending on where you want to go and do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.66%
The paper was reasonable (1076)
47.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (506)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (271)
11.9%

Watched Threads