.alexandra.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, ive been given an offer to study accounting, finance and management at the University of Nottingham but i have kept hearing a lot of bad things about the place and that its in the news a lot for crime. Can someone please tell me how it is to live there as a student and when you move out of uni accomodation?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by .alexandra.)
Hey guys, ive been given an offer to study accounting, finance and management at the University of Nottingham but i have kept hearing a lot of bad things about the place and that its in the news a lot for crime. Can someone please tell me how it is to live there as a student and when you move out of uni accomodation?
As with any big city, you have good bits and not so good bits.

Nottingham has improved a lot over the years, and the nickname Shottingham was coined many, many years ago.

If you keep your wits about you and try your best to find a "nice" part of the city to live, then you'll be fine. There are also private halls available if you want 24/7 security.

I know your offer is from Nottingham (University of) and not Trent, but Nottingham Trent University (official rep) are always very helpful and can hopefully shed some light?

Moved to University of Nottingham
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
As with any big city, you have good bits and not so good bits.

Nottingham has improved a lot over the years, and the nickname Shottingham was coined many, many years ago.

If you keep your wits about you and try your best to find a "nice" part of the city to live, then you'll be fine. There are also private halls available if you want 24/7 security.

I know your offer is from Nottingham (University of) and not Trent, but Nottingham Trent University (official rep) are always very helpful and can hopefully shed some light?

Moved to University of Nottingham
Hi .alexandra. Congratualtions on your offer at Uni of Nottingham! And thanks for your kind words Blue_Cow

I am a 4th year at NTU and personally have never encountered any issues in Nottingham. As Blue_Cow has said, it is a relatively big city and as with any other, you need to have your witts about you - but this is not to say that you can't go out and have a good time.

If you do decide that Nottingham will be your new home, you'll quickly get to grips with where's best and not best to go

Hope that has given you a brief insight but do let me know if you have any other questions!

Chris - NTU rep
.alexandra.
Rep:
?
thanks guys for your replies, they have helped me feel a bit better about the place. do you guys know about the specific area of uni of nottingham accommodation, especially for students who move out of uni. are the areas around the accommodation safe? are there bad places close to the uni/accommodations or are they more away from it?
azizadil1998
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I've lived in 2 accomodations at Nottingham so know how the different areas are - with regards to crime, it's the same as any other city you go to, there's some dodgy areas, which you tend to avoid of course, but in general the student areas are fine; and if you're careful e.g. don't be alone late at night nothing tends to happen. You can move out of accomodation in 2nd year, however i know people who stay in accomodation, it's up to you and the people in your group really! The uni houses are generally pretty good and fun to live in, and a good price (80-110 a week).
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks guys for your replies, they have helped me feel a bit better about the place. do you guys know about the specific area of uni of nottingham accommodation, especially for students who move out of uni. are the areas around the accommodation safe? are there bad places close to the uni/accommodations or are they more away from it?
I grew up in Nottingham and continue to spend lots of time here, and it's an absolutely brilliant city, also one of the safer ones in the UK to be honest - Nottingham has extremely tight city limits which skew stats a lot. There's ~750,000 people in the Nottingham urban area (the commuter area is more like 1 million), but the city limits stop just outside the worst parts of the city and leave out most of the nicer suburbs (and give an official populationof closer to 250-300,000 which is ridiculous, for more accurate comparisons when comparing to other cities urban area population gives the best estimate /tangent over). There were some problems with gang violence in the early 2000s but even then it's always been a lot safer than 99% of other cities in the world.

Specifically regarding accommodation, I had some friends who studied at Nottingham for uni and I was amazed (as were they) at where a lot of students choose to live. Areas like Lenton have a lot of issues with burglaries, and it actually became a meme on our whatsapp group to send screenshots of people on the University of Nottingham buy/sell tickets group posting about people stealing their laptops in Lenton (literally 5 in the last year just from one small residential road). Honestly just paying 5 pounds more every week and living in Beeston is a way better option. Or a further 5 pounds (and a longer commute to uni) and you can live somewhere like West Bridford, which is lovely. Woolaton is another good option. Just don't try and find somewhere between town and the uni because those areas aren't great if you're worried about crime. I'm sure some residents of these neighbourhoods will disagree with me though.

But yeah, overall Nottingham feels really safe, the city centre is my favourite in the country (excluding London, too hard to compare), with Leeds following close after. Nottingham city centre is easily the rival of any one individual part of London (I prefer it to Soho for example), though London has so many different, amazing and unique areas.
.alexandra.
Rep:
?
thank you everyone for all of your help, i am definitelly not so scared anymore about Nottingham i will be visity nottingham next week so i will be able to get a feel of it myself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
61.4%
No (35)
20.47%
Not sure (31)
18.13%

Watched Threads