The Student Room Group

Maths in primary teaching course

Hello! I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I have received an offer at Strathclyde and I'd really like to go there for primary teaching but I'm not very good/confident in maths, if anyone can tell me how much maths and what type is the course that'd be great. And if there is anywhere I can get extra help with maths that'd be great. Thanks
Original post by Merlinquestions
Hello! I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I have received an offer at Strathclyde and I'd really like to go there for primary teaching but I'm not very good/confident in maths, if anyone can tell me how much maths and what type is the course that'd be great. And if there is anywhere I can get extra help with maths that'd be great. Thanks
Can't speak to Strathclyde specifically but you will have to pass a QTS numeracy skills test in order to do the course, and if you're looking to be a primary teacher then you can't really avoid Maths very easily.
Original post by Merlinquestions

Like @04MR17, I can't speak about Strathclyde. To tweak what he has said, Strathclyde is in Scotland and they don't have professional skills tests there, so you wouldn't have to worry about them. However, if you are teaching primary-age children, you will be teaching maths four or five times a week, possibly more.

Regarding maths, at Plymouth we have core subjects model which has an assignment for each. However, if you're considering becoming a teacher, I would hazard a guess and say that it's your confidence not your ability that's the problem. We are brought up in a society that thinks being bad at maths is fine, so society thinks maths is hard and, therefore, people don't bother with it. As long as you meet the entry requirements that will be fine - at primary level, the maths they do isn't tricky really. I'm sure you are good at maths, you just need to believe in yourself.
Original post by clarkey500
Like @04MR17, I can't speak about Strathclyde. To tweak what he has said, Strathclyde is in Scotland and they don't have professional skills tests there, so you wouldn't have to worry about them. However, if you are teaching primary-age children, you will be teaching maths four or five times a week, possibly more.

Regarding maths, at Plymouth we have core subjects model which has an assignment for each. However, if you're considering becoming a teacher, I would hazard a guess and say that it's your confidence not your ability that's the problem. We are brought up in a society that thinks being bad at maths is fine, so society thinks maths is hard and, therefore, people don't bother with it. As long as you meet the entry requirements that will be fine - at primary level, the maths they do isn't tricky really. I'm sure you are good at maths, you just need to believe in yourself.

Thank you! Yeah, to be honest its more confidence I just thought I'd see if anyone knew more details about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending