- chemistry (higher tier)
- English literature
- English Language
- Geography
- Spanish (higher tier)
- computer science
- religious studies
- astronomy

I am looking for advice on weather choices like this will advantage or disadvantage me with things such as university applications in the future. I am extremely passionate about maths and always have been and it is also my strongest area and what I plan to study at university. Do you think my chosen GCSEs will allow me to get in to a top university doing a maths degree (assuming I achieve high grades)? Am I disadvantaging myself by not choosing an artistic subject as well e.g: art, textiles, music, drama? Thank you very much for your help
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zoeeeeeeee)
I am in year 9 and for my GCSES I am planing on choosing:
- mathematics (higher tier)
- biology (higher tier)
- physics (higher tier)
- chemistry (higher tier)
- English literature
- English Language
- Geography
- Spanish (higher tier)
- computer science
- religious studies
- astronomy

I am looking for advice on weather choices like this will advantage or disadvantage me with things such as university applications in the future. I am extremely passionate about maths and always have been and it is also my strongest area and what I plan to study at university. Do you think my chosen GCSEs will allow me to get in to a top university doing a maths degree (assuming I achieve high grades)? Am I disadvantaging myself by not choosing an artistic subject as well e.g: art, textiles, music, drama? Thank you very much for your help
Your choices are fine. Are they the subjects *you* actually prefer and enjoy?
Tamjm1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ok take a step back for a levels they are not looking at what you did so much as what you got so don’t worry about doing a ton of academic subjects what matters more than the grades is the interview and well you don’t have to worry about that now. So take a step back look at the subjects you enjoy not just the teachers or the prospect of a good grade like what do you look forwards to doing in the week. For options I always believe no matter how academically minded you are you should have at least one subject you picked that you genuinely enjoy
Last edited by Tamjm1; 6 months ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Tamjm1)
Ok take a step back for a levels they are not looking at what you did so much as what you got so don’t worry about doing a ton of academic subjects what matters more than the grades is the interview and well you don’t have to worry about that now. So take a step back look at the subjects you enjoy not just the teachers or the prospect of a good grade like what do you look forwards to doing in the week. For options I always believe no matter how academically minded you are you should have at least one subject you picked that you genuinely enjoy
The OP has a GCSE subjects request, not A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tamjm1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
The OP has a GCSE subjects request, not A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know however they are going on about aleavels and unis and so I’m trying to say that there’s no point picking subjects just because you think they look good or will get you into a good collage because at the end of the day not only will it be hell to get the grades in a subject you don’t love but it doesn’t even actually matter as there is much more taken into consideration than just what you took when it comes to getting into alevels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%