Anyone move from Germany to Scotland?

Watch
didemnur
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey did any of you guys move from Germany to Scotland. I will be moving this year and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions of mine and maybe give me a few tips
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by didemnur)
Hey did any of you guys move from Germany to Scotland. I will be moving this year and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions of mine and maybe give me a few tips
Not unless they are totally insane.
didemnur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vinny C)
Not unless they are totally insane.
why is that?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
why is that?
Massive unemployment... plus it's where the English holiday if the Antarctic is full... plus you will have to learn English all over again. Midges the size of bees hunting in swarms... shall I continue?
Last edited by Vinny C; 2 years ago
didemnur
Rep:
?
Massive unemployment... plus it's where the English holiday if the Antarctic is full...
Oh well I only meant for University. Messed up and didn’t say it in the op.

Psychology (the course I applied for) is extremely competitive and very hard to get accepted in in Germany. With my final grade it was a lot easier to get accepted in Scotland ,which I was, than in Germany..
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh well I only meant for University. Messed up and didn’t say it in the op.

Psychology (the course I applied for) is extremely competitive and very hard to get accepted in in Germany. With my final grade it was a lot easier to get accepted in Scotland ,which I was, than in Germany..
Which Uni? And please don't say Glasgow.
didemnur
Rep:
?
Which Uni? And please don't say Glasgow.
Aberdeen and Abertay still waiting in results. What's wrong with Glasgow? 😂
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aberdeen and Abertay still waiting in results. What's wrong with Glasgow? 😂
You might survive the other two.
Vadnyl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm planning on moving to Scotland from the Netherlands. Not exactly Germany but close enough right
Still waiting on results from Abertay too. I also have no idea what I'm gonna do so I'll just wait for someone to give some tips to OP :^)
didemnur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vadnyl)
I'm planning on moving to Scotland from the Netherlands. Not exactly Germany but close enough right
Still waiting on results from Abertay too. I also have no idea what I'm gonna do so I'll just wait for someone to give some tips to OP :^)

Nice! What’d you apply for at Abertay? I actually already got an offer maybe I’ll see you there then haha
Vadnyl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nice! What’d you apply for at Abertay? I actually already got an offer maybe I’ll see you there then haha
Computer Arts. Just sent in my portfolio two days ago. Really hope they like it aaaaaaa
Congrats on your offer! If I get an offer from Abertay I'm definitely going, so yeah if all goes well see you there!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm based Glasgow/Edinburgh, was there anything particular you wanted to know?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Planning to move from Germany to Scotland for an internship at least, but i don't exclude to live there, if everything goes well.
didemnur
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'm based Glasgow/Edinburgh, was there anything particular you wanted to know?
Yeah a few things but right now mainly how did you find a place to live in from Germany? Did you call some agents? Did you go see the flats or how did you decide on one? If I am planning to move in August when should I start flat hunting? Thanks a lot in advance!
Mamia000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was in Glasgow few time i kinda liked it. I am sure it will be good experience for you.
pandore_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will move from Germany to Scotland for studying this year. At least, if the Brexit allows me to

And please don't say Glasgow.
What is wrong with Glasgow? I really like to know, as I have a quite good impression of the city and university so far.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pandore_)
I will move from Germany to Scotland for studying this year. At least, if the Brexit allows me to

What is wrong with Glasgow? I really like to know, as I have a quite good impression of the city and university so far.
Apart from the incomprehensible local dialect? I can only assume they must restrict your movements to the safer areas.
johnjerry
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Apart from the incomprehensible local dialect? I can only assume they must restrict your movements to the safer areas.
Their dialect is the worst I have ever seen in my life.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For a look-back at extreme Glasgow (Govan?) accents (and psychology!), you could watch some BBC "Rab C. Nesbitt" 1990's episodes on YT or DVD, it is important to then calmly contrast this with 1970's Scottish weegie observational comedy from Sir William Connolly (search for "The big Yin")

Scotland is very welcoming, even to Europeans - when you get your Firm & Insurance offers sorted-out, - the next thing to try is apply for first-year housing organised by your university of choice. Most UK universities try and house all the thousands of 'freshman' (just 'fresh' nowadays?) in their own campus blocks or in a closely related affiliated system. 2nd year students are usually on their own, using the free-market for housing, some third or fourth year students might be allowed back into campus houses, if there is space.

Some colleges have a 'random' lottery housing allocation, with applications (and possibly a few hundred £ deposit) required before all applicants even know if you'll be accepted there, but most have a smooth system, with demand and supply nearly balanced. Important that you read the "Housing" part of the websites, now!

As an EU student, you'd be missing things like a UK Bank Account, UK referees, UK large deposit - which would make it difficult for you to directly enter the free market for housing, as a 'fresh'. Some campuses offer "housing", some offer "housing with food" using magic cards, sometimes you might have to share a bathroom/shower with eight other students, or you could score an "ensuite" studio, lots of different price brackets to choose. Research . . .
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I heard Rudolf Hess attempted it
Last edited by Andrew97; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads