Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello! I thought it would be nice to hear from some other ecology/conservation/zoology applicants. Tell us where you're from, what you're studying, and of course where you're applying to!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
I'm from France and England (having to apply as EU).
I have the French literary baccalaureate, and am studying a biology A-level, predicted an A as far as I'm aware. I've also just taken an IGCSE in maths as I had no maths qualification.
I've applied to Sussex, Aberdeen, Southampton, Reading and Exeter; and so far have received offers from Reading (B in biology and C in maths) and Exeter (B in biology and B in maths).
kittykat7333
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm from Herefordshire near the Welsh border. I'm currently studying a Level 3 C&G Extended Technical Diploma in Animal Management, predicted a D*/Destinction* grade overall. I've applied for Zoology at Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull, Salford and Reading. I've recieved offers from all of them now, unconditionals from Bangor and Hull, Destinction grade for Aber, and Merit grade for Salford and Reading I'm awaiting results from Aber's scholarship exams before I officially select my firm and insurance choices but I think Aber will most likely be my firm and Hull my insurance
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
(Original post by kittykat7333)
I'm from Herefordshire near the Welsh border. I'm currently studying a Level 3 C&G Extended Technical Diploma in Animal Management, predicted a D*/Destinction* grade overall. I've applied for Zoology at Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull, Salford and Reading. I've recieved offers from all of them now, unconditionals from Bangor and Hull, Destinction grade for Aber, and Merit grade for Salford and Reading I'm awaiting results from Aber's scholarship exams before I officially select my firm and insurance choices but I think Aber will most likely be my firm and Hull my insurance
Those offers sound great, well done
What sort of job do you want to get after your zoology degree?
kittykat7333
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Those offers sound great, well done
What sort of job do you want to get after your zoology degree?
Thank you!!
Ideally I'd like to work in conservation, possibly marine, but I'm keeping an open mind as I'm sure that during my course I'll find something in particular I really want to specialize in
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Thank you!!
Ideally I'd like to work in conservation, possibly marine, but I'm keeping an open mind as I'm sure that during my course I'll find something in particular I really want to specialize in
I'd like to work in conservation too. I don't really mind where or with which species, as long as I'm in the field not in a lab. I tried to choose unis which have more of a focus on fieldwork for that reason. I daresay labwork would be really interesting too, but I prefer to interact with animals in their own environment.

What does your diploma consist of? I have a cousin who did something similar.
kittykat7333
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'd like to work in conservation too. I don't really mind where or with which species, as long as I'm in the field not in a lab. I tried to choose unis which have more of a focus on fieldwork for that reason. I daresay labwork would be really interesting too, but I prefer to interact with animals in their own environment.

What does your diploma consist of? I have a cousin who did something similar.
I know what you mean - whilst I thoroughly enjoy lab work and dissections (just realized that makes me sound really creepy haha ), actually working out in an animal's natural habitat is a lot more exciting

My diploma has quite a range of subjects as people who take it go on to do lots of different jobs from biology based work to animal related businesses, my modules last year were:
-Animal Feeding and Nutrition (lots of biology)
-Animal Breeding and Welfare (even more biology)
-Animal Health and Husbandry (more biology again :P)
-Animal Behaviour
-Small Animal Rehabilitation (the only module from the first year I genuinely didn't like)
-Exotics (looking at exotic husbandry, breeding and the pet trade and the effect of wild caught animals on conservation work and natural populations)
-Animal Training
-Biological Systems of Animals
-Health and Safety
And a minimum of 150 hours of work experience - I ended up doing over 230 hours at a mixed vet practice, it was really interesting getting to watch different surgeries on domestic and exotic animals. I even got to watch an operation on a bearded dragon's jaw bone
My modules this year are:
-Vet Nursing
-Pet Allied Services
-Pet Shop Management
-Kennels and Catteries
-Business Management
-Farm and Livestock
-Investigative Project (mine is on the behaviour of nocturnal British wildlife)
-Wildlife, Ecology and Conservation
-Estate Skills (basically land management and practical conservation skills)

I'm not enjoying this year as much with the exception of my conservation module because personally I find business studies so so boring and there isn't as much biology related work this year :/ still trying my best though because if I get through this year with good grades I'll get to study more biology again at uni

Have you had the opportunity to do any fieldwork with your Biology A-Level??
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
I know what you mean - whilst I thoroughly enjoy lab work and dissections (just realized that makes me sound really creepy haha ), actually working out in an animal's natural habitat is a lot more exciting

My diploma has quite a range of subjects as people who take it go on to do lots of different jobs from biology based work to animal related businesses, my modules last year were:
-Animal Feeding and Nutrition (lots of biology)
-Animal Breeding and Welfare (even more biology)
-Animal Health and Husbandry (more biology again :P)
-Animal Behaviour
-Small Animal Rehabilitation (the only module from the first year I genuinely didn't like)
-Exotics (looking at exotic husbandry, breeding and the pet trade and the effect of wild caught animals on conservation work and natural populations)
-Animal Training
-Biological Systems of Animals
-Health and Safety
And a minimum of 150 hours of work experience - I ended up doing over 230 hours at a mixed vet practice, it was really interesting getting to watch different surgeries on domestic and exotic animals. I even got to watch an operation on a bearded dragon's jaw bone
My modules this year are:
-Vet Nursing
-Pet Allied Services
-Pet Shop Management
-Kennels and Catteries
-Business Management
-Farm and Livestock
-Investigative Project (mine is on the behaviour of nocturnal British wildlife)
-Wildlife, Ecology and Conservation
-Estate Skills (basically land management and practical conservation skills)

I'm not enjoying this year as much with the exception of my conservation module because personally I find business studies so so boring and there isn't as much biology related work this year :/ still trying my best though because if I get through this year with good grades I'll get to study more biology again at uni

Have you had the opportunity to do any fieldwork with your Biology A-Level??
Ooh, that sounds all sounds really interesting! Animal husbandry and behaviour is so cool. And the work experience, too...that must have been really fantastic. I love reptiles; during the spring and summer I sometimes catch lizards and look after them for a while. I also have four cats though haha, plus two we're fostering.

I guess I could say I've kind of done some fieldwork, not really tied to the A-level though - mostly accompanying Dad on a few agroforestry-related fieldtrips, but that was several years ago now (time flies lol). Although there's a high likelihood I'm going to go with him to Mali for a conference later this month, which I'm really excited about!
I'd like to do some more animal-related work, but I live in a fairly remote area and there don't seem to be any opportunities which aren't a three-hour bus ride away. Still, it's something I need to look into more.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Oh and btw, I've received two more offers! Southampton (A in bio, C/4 in maths) and Aberdeen (A in bio, B/5 in maths). Aberdeen will probably be my top choice, partly because it's much cheaper than England haha. But also because there's the possibility of being able to do a year abroad (and since my offer is for entry into year 2 it would technically be a three year degree and the year abroad is included in those years, not additional... if that makes sense). I need to visit it before making my final decision though.
Really though there's not much too chose from between my different options, as they're all in nice locations and have similar courses.
kittykat7333
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh and btw, I've received two more offers! Southampton (A in bio, C/4 in maths) and Aberdeen (A in bio, B/5 in maths). Aberdeen will probably be my top choice, partly because it's much cheaper than England haha. But also because there's the possibility of being able to do a year abroad (and since my offer is for entry into year 2 it would technically be a three year degree and the year abroad is included in those years, not additional... if that makes sense). I need to visit it before making my final decision though.
Really though there's not much too chose from between my different options, as they're all in nice locations and have similar courses.
Congratulations on your offers!! My cousin goes to Aberdeen and she loves it - the only downside is how cold it gets definitely bring lots of warm clothes haha. She's currently on a year abroad in Vienna and is having a really good time, it'd definitely be worth doing if you can
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Congratulations on your offers!! My cousin goes to Aberdeen and she loves it - the only downside is how cold it gets definitely bring lots of warm clothes haha. She's currently on a year abroad in Vienna and is having a really good time, it'd definitely be worth doing if you can
Oh, that's cool! Which course is she doing?
strawberryshark
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm from the US and live in China. I have offers for zoology from Swansea and Derby, and Liverpool John-Moores asked for transcripts, which I haven't sent yet. Also got an offer from Hull for their foundation year, but I had decided to not consider them anyways. Swansea is my favorite but I will visit them all before deciding!
Charlottemason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I have offers from Lincoln to do Ecology and conservation, And Zoology, but I can’t decide beteeen the two!!!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Charlottemason)
I have offers from Lincoln to do Ecology and conservation, And Zoology, but I can’t decide beteeen the two!!!
Ahh, I know what you mean. At most of the unis I applied to, the zoology and ecology courses were nearly identical, differing only in which modules were obligatory and which were optional. I'm less keen on physiology and cells, modules on which were generally obligatory in zoology, so opted for eco. But it also depends on what job you're hoping to get after your degree? Although the courses are identical, an employer will probably just look at the name.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
(Original post by strawberryshark)
I'm from the US and live in China. I have offers for zoology from Swansea and Derby, and Liverpool John-Moores asked for transcripts, which I haven't sent yet. Also got an offer from Hull for their foundation year, but I had decided to not consider them anyways. Swansea is my favorite but I will visit them all before deciding!
That's great! What job do you hope to get?
strawberryshark
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That's great! What job do you hope to get?
I want to do research, but I don't know yet what I want to specialize in... preferably something that includes both fieldwork and labwork, and either marine biology, entomology, or mammalogy
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
(Original post by strawberryshark)
I want to do research, but I don't know yet what I want to specialize in... preferably something that includes both fieldwork and labwork, and either marine biology, entomology, or mammalogy
Nice. And how did you decide you wanted to study zoology?
kiaransj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've applied and received offers for Exeter and Aberystwyth to study Ecology, and I am really struggling to decide between the two. Exeter (Cornwall campus) is ranked higher, and the course contents sound really appealing, but Aber is such a nice place, reviewed pretty well, and again the course seems good. Might toss a coin xD
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by kiaransj)
I've applied and received offers for Exeter and Aberystwyth to study Ecology, and I am really struggling to decide between the two. Exeter (Cornwall campus) is ranked higher, and the course contents sound really appealing, but Aber is such a nice place, reviewed pretty well, and again the course seems good. Might toss a coin xD
Having visited Penryn, I just firmed Exeter a couple of days ago it was pouring with rain when I visited, so I think if I loved it even then it should be pretty nice in the sunshine! I'd really recommend Exeter, but of course it's a very personal decision.
Aberystwyth University
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kiaransj)
Hi kiaransj - really glad to hear that you are considering Aberystwyth Would you like for me to put you in touch with one of our current students? It's good to get a feel of what life is like at University from a student perspective

Kind regards
Sulwen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
65.03%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.31%
Yes but I might change my mind (25)
13.66%

Watched Threads