The Student Room Group

Are AS levels pointless?

I'm am working towards three A level qualifications atm and I'm thinking about sitting some AS levels this summer. I'm aware of the fact that AS levels are no longer required towards A level awards. But does that mean that they are actually pointless? And more importantly, would universities regard A levels without any AS component as inferior?
Original post by VeryFriendlyChap
I'm am working towards three A level qualifications atm and I'm thinking about sitting some AS levels this summer. I'm aware of the fact that AS levels are no longer required towards A level awards. But does that mean that they are actually pointless? And more importantly, would universities regard A levels without any AS component as inferior?

When I was applying to university I was told that most universities don't look at AS levels as not everyone is offered the chance to do them so it would be unfair to factor them into whether they give you an offer or not. The only advantage would be getting practice of real A-level exams, and motivation to hardcore revise which would help massively in the long-term. So basically, if you decide to do AS levels then do it for the benefit of it helping your final A2 grade, not for any benefit of getting into university.
That's what I wanted to say in the first place. It seems like there is only the benefit of getting some practice but that's about it. Thank you for your answer anyway.

If your school allows you to do AS level exams then definetly do them. My school, for example, makes us all sit AS exams in the summer and uses our grades from these exams to set predictions. These predictions are what you'll use when applying for university at the start of A2. And a student who has grades to support their predictions would look stronger than a candidate who doesn't.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4

They aren't entirely pointless but many universities don't look at them at all (including Bristol).

Personally I'd say they are helpful if you "underperformed" in your GCSEs and you want to demonstrate an improving academic trajectory. Or if you plan to drop the subject after AS anyway - e.g. you are doing 4 subjects and only want to take 3 to full A-level.

Original post by Hecatonchires1
If your school allows you to do AS level exams then definetly do them. My school, for example, makes us all sit AS exams in the summer and uses our grades from these exams to set predictions. These predictions are what you'll use when applying for university at the start of A2. And a student who has grades to support their predictions would look stronger than a candidate who doesn't.

They can just as easily use mocks and classroom performance to set your predicted grades.

Many schools don't sit them now, unless the pupil is planning on dropping a subject.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest