The things no-one tells you about life after uni... Watch

discobish
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
As per the title... If you're a graduate, what are the things that surprised you most about life after uni?

For me, it'd have to be how expensive council tax is - especially in Brighton! Was not prepared for that...

How about you? What shocked you most about graduate life?

If you've got any comments you'd like to share, Hannah from BBC Bitesize is currently writing an article about this and would love your contributions (you can even remain anonymous if you like!)

If you'd like to get involved, send your comments on to her by emailing [email protected]

Otherwise - comment them below
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by discobish)
As per the title... If you're a graduate, what are the things that surprised you most about life after uni?

For me, it'd have to be how expensive council tax is - especially in Brighton! Was not prepared for that...

How about you? What shocked you most about graduate life?

If you've got any comments you'd like to share, Hannah from BBC Bitesize is currently writing an article about this and would love your contributions (you can even remain anonymous if you like!)

If you'd like to get involved, send your comments on to her by emailing [email protected]

Otherwise - comment them below
DISCOBISH!!!!!! :lovehug:
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That you actually have to repay the Student Loan

That your degree is virtually the same as any other one (except career ones e.g Medicine / Vet / Dentistry)

That virtually everyone else has a degree, and getting a job with a "generic" degree is tough

That many people will probably continue studying Masters / PhD etc.
discobish
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
DISCOBISH!!!!!! :lovehug:
Hey Cavy how are you!?

(Original post by ecolier)
That you actually have to repay the Student Loan
Yep, this one got me too. :emo:
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by discobish)
Hey Cavy how are you!?

oh i am so pleased to see you discobish, am so pleased you are alive :hugs:
discobish
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
oh i am so pleased to see you discobish, am so pleased you are alive :hugs:
Aww that's so sweet! I'm also pleased I am alive you'll have to come for another visit to TSR Towers soon and say hey!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing really. I had lived in a couple of countires, paid tax, worked etc before I went to university
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No more free access to OED.
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No more tax rebates :cry2:
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
how much you would miss uni life.
TortoiseSheldon
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The amount of free time you have!
GingerJoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That most university couples break up (in my example - every couple but that became a couple during uni broke up within a year on uni finishing).That most won't walk into a fantastic paid job. There will be long hours, high stress and one learns that hard way that there is more to life than money and work.Oh, and how great uni was and that you will constantly reminisce.
GingerJoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GingerJoe)
That most university couples break up (in my example - every couple but that became a couple during uni broke up within a year on uni finishing).That most won't walk into a fantastic paid job. There will be long hours, high stress and one learns that hard way that there is more to life than money and work.Oh, and how great uni was and that you will constantly reminisce.
And you can now read for enjoyment rather than because you have to reference everything under the sun.
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
the opputunity cost of 3/4 years. looking at friends who never went to uni its abit like have a look at what you could have won. the truth is this you can achieve far more in 3/4 years than you can getting a degree. they did apprenticeships and are qualified or part qualified proffesionals in accounting, it, law and have nice cars and even mortgages or married. while i have a piece of paper and a shed load of debt applying for glorifed school leavers jobs
Last edited by SJW-; 2 weeks ago
Iloveowls123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How hard it has been to get a good job - despite my degree, internships, paid and unpaid work experience, extra study and extracurriculars... Anyone else found this?

Also how frustrating it is not to be able to use student discounts anymore
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SJW-)
the opputunity cost of 3/4 years. looking at friends who never went to uni its abit like have a look at what you could have won. the truth is this you can achieve far more in 3/4 years than you can getting a degree. they did apprenticeships and are qualified or part qualified proffesionals in accounting, it, law and have nice cars and even mortgages or married. while i have a piece of paper and a shed load of debt applying for glorifed school leavers jobs
For me it's a mix. There are the people who have achieved impressive things without a degree, and most of these people are the people you would have expected to go to university. But then there are those who didn't and are working dead end jobs with no progression. Not saying it's any different to people I know who have degrees, but once again it's what people have made of their time. One person I know is currently co-owner of a bakery in central London. She was always amazing at food tech etc. when we were at school, made the most of cookery opportunities in our home town, and somehow ended up in London at this bakery. She was academic enough to go to university but chose and worked for a different path. Similar situation to someone I knew from university who is now working for Google, because he put himself out there when he was at university.

I know people who did degrees and others who did apprenticeships out of school and where they are in life is no different bar that debt over one parties head. Long story short herever you are, make the most of the opportunities presented to you. Nothing will be handed to you on a plate and work out long term, and not everything happens instantly either.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
No more free access to OED.
I'd say that losing access to Westlaw is more important
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I'd say that losing access to Westlaw is more important
Mine is the loss of LMCLQ

AND THE F-****ING-T. Tmesis alert.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Mine is the loss of LMCLQ

AND THE F-****ING-T. Tmesis alert.
Never read it, barely know what it is

Tbf the one thing that I would have genuinely missed (if my university chose to subscribe to them, cheap bast-rds!!!!) would be PracticalLaw and the LexisPSL updates service.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Never read it, barely know what it is

Tbf the one thing that I would have genuinely missed (if my university chose to subscribe to them, cheap bast-rds!!!!) would be PracticalLaw and the LexisPSL updates service.
LMCLQ is where you'll find all your shipping/insurance articles, which is what I research. Good read, top playas. On my LLM, I got my disso sup to persuade the law library to purchase it. I paid about 10k and got a 10k subscription out of it, so good value for money.

Aye, never read any of that stuff. Just go to the Westlaw Books bit for the daddy-tier stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (63)
8.33%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%
No, but I want to start (281)
37.17%
No, I am unable to (185)
24.47%
No, I chose not to (208)
27.51%