The things no-one tells you about life after uni... Watch

Certainty
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That getting a job is about having the gift of the gab

That you have to show evidence of silly skills which practically every person already has. Teamwork, communication blah blah blah

Ridiculous
Certainty
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Morven777)
...and every year, a hundred thousand new graduates join the morass, all clutching degrees and going for the same "jobs"....OMG..
This life is grim

throughout your whole life, your teachers make you feel special and put you on silly things like the gifted and talented list

well, i’ve got news for you m8. It doesn’t mean anything. There are millions out there who are better and more talented than you in every way

that you are mediocre. That you are not special. At all.
Certainty
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That no matter how talented or special you are, you’re just like everyone else. You still have to work and do labour and earn a living
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
No more free access to OED.
Join a public library. You can join libraries outside where you live and work but sometimes you need to physically turn up and provide ID after you join online. Many have free online access to reference sources like this (but I did once have to join in Aberdeen to get the Church Times!)
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Join a public library. You can join libraries outside where you live and work but sometimes you need to physically turn up and provide ID after you join online. Many have free online access to reference sources like this (but I did once have to join in Aberdeen to get the Church Times!)
No, you're quite right. I used my library for online access to Jstor and OUP stuff, before I started uni.

But I thought "OED" was a useful by-word for online access to stuff.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
No, you're quite right. I used my library for online access to Jstor and OUP stuff, before I started uni.

But I thought "OED" was a useful by-word for online access to stuff.
Most databases are available somewhere, but if you find a Toronto Globe and Mail Archive online subscription anywhere in the UK please let me know.
Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Certainty)
That no matter how talented or special you are, you’re just like everyone else. You still have to work and do labour and earn a living
Why would you think otherwise!
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am soon to graduate in July, but so far what I am learning whilst applying for grad jobs is that:

- you will lose connection with most people from uni starting your third year;
- get rejected from entry-level jobs for random reasons despite having a good list of experience and the skills they ask;
- you have to jump through hoops just to land an interview for grad jobs;
- being a 'good fit' for the job with at least minimal amount of experience is better than being competent with experience;
- if you still have a baby face then you will be treated like a child (I haven't really aged at all since I was 16, so always get weird remarks about it, and be treated like a baby);
- always look presentable;
Last edited by kkboyk; 6 days ago
GingerJoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Another one for me is being ‘too graduated’. I wanted a career change recently, so I looked at Grad schemes again as it would have been a complete career change. A company I really wanted to work for (actually multiple companies - including the current one I work for) said that one must have graduated less than two years ago. The no reason behind it but I assume it’s something to do with fresh ideas etc
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by GingerJoe)
Another one for me is being ‘too graduated’. I wanted a career change recently, so I looked at Grad schemes again as it would have been a complete career change. A company I really wanted to work for (actually multiple companies - including the current one I work for) said that one must have graduated less than two years ago. The no reason behind it but I assume it’s something to do with fresh ideas etc
Had a similar experience trying to apply for degree apprenticeships- having a qualification in another subject seems to close that opportunity.
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Missing the uni life/experience. Also trying to get a decent well paid job out of it as well (luckily I’ve still got a job that I’ve been in since college, but really want to put my degree to good use). Missing everyone I met from uni as well, and that you don’t see/speak to them as often.

Tbh I can’t think of anymore atm..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%