username3051908
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have picked out four a levels -

computer science, physics, maths and further maths.

I'm getting 9's at GCSE so I think I can handle 4 A levels but I don't want to jeopardise my A level grades by picking a fourth one.
I hope to apply to somewhere like Imperial so do u recommend doing 4 a levels or 3? and If 3, which should I drop?

(I'm thinking of doing computer science at university - but not sure.)
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
drop computer science, imo, there's no need though. further maths is short, you should be able to handle 4 subjects if one of them if further maths.
priyanka_84
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by VigilanteQueenx)
I have picked out four a levels -

computer science, physics, maths and further maths.

I'm getting 9's at GCSE so I think I can handle 4 A levels but I don't want to jeopardise my A level grades by picking a fourth one.
I hope to apply to somewhere like Imperial so do u recommend doing 4 a levels or 3? and If 3, which should I drop?

(I'm thinking of doing computer science at university - but not sure.)
I would suggest taking all 4 to start and once you try out the subject and see the workload or content, choose which is your least favourite or the subject you are worst at and then drop it. Because I think it is harder to start with 3, discover you don’t like one or aren’t very good at one, and then you have to catch up with another subject if you swap or it’s too late and you may have to stay another year. Hope this helps
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend is doing that exact combination. He's fine with it, but my other two mates dropped out of further maths after the AS at the end of Year 12. Seeing as Further Maths isn't really viewed as a full A Level, if you have one to drop, it probably should be that. Try it for a year, and it's no loss if you drop it. If you want to do Computer Science, it's useful, if not essential (they all have similar offers from Warwick, for example). Don't know much about Imperial, though.
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 2 years ago
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
My friend is doing that exact combination. He's fine with it, but my other two mates dropped out of further maths after the AS at the end of Year 12. Seeing as Further Maths isn't really viewed as a full A Level, if you have one to drop, it probably should be that. Try it for a year, and it's no loss if you drop it. If you want to do Computer Science, it's useful, if not essential (they all have similar offers from Warwick, for example). Don't know much about Imperial, though.
Not true. Further maths is a ‘full’ A-Level.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I'm in y12 doing those exact subjects, they're fine and you will handle just fine providing your maths skills are good.

In my school you do the whole of normal maths in the first year, sit the a level and then do further maths in y13, I really like this way as it only really feels like Im doing 3 a levels.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
Not true. Further maths is a ‘full’ A-Level.
I know, technically speaking, it is. I'm just going off what my friends have said (as I'm a humanities girl through and through), but apparently it looks better to be a bit more well rounded in this regard. That said, I'm not number one authority on this, and I know there are some people who do further maths instead of CS, but he said he felt better prepped with the A Level in his subject. (He wants to do a CS Degree at Durham). All a matter of what you prefer, I guess.
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 2 years ago
TheNewLad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would have to say there's no real planning for it, just drop the one you enjoy the least after a year. I came up with a plan of which one I would drop, but I ended up dropping music after a year instead, because the course wasn't how I thought it would be.
znedd1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take 4 A-levels including Maths, FM, and CS, and it's not overly stressful. Universities seem to really like further maths; several I've looked at strongly reccomend, if not require FM.

Physics seems like the obvious one to drop. A large amount of people in my school took it to AS, and then dropped it. That might be a good idea, if you don't want to go through the stress of 4 A-levels in the final year.

Hope this helps!
GreenCub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of people will tell you 4 A levels is too much, but it's manageable for a lot of people. How are you coping with the workload of GCSEs? (I take maths, further maths, chemistry and physics and the workload isn't too bad)

In terms of computer science, especially for a university like Imperial, I'd definitely recommend having both Maths and Further Maths, which are valued by top universities much more than Computer Science A level. Physics is a facilitating subject and is also quite mathematical so it could make you a more competitive applicant.

I'd say the best route would be to start with 4, and if you want to drop to 3 (or find it difficult to cope with the workload) then drop Physics. If you decide not to go for CS at university you could drop CS A level.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I forgot to mention, im doing those exact subjects as a y12, feel free to ask me anything.
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
I know, technically speaking, it is. I'm just going off what my friends have said (as I'm a humanities girl through and through), but apparently it looks better to be a bit more well rounded in this regard. That said, I'm not number one authority on this, and I know there are some people who do further maths instead of CS, but he said he felt better prepped with the A Level in his subject. (He wants to do a CS Degree at Durham). All a matter of what you prefer, I guess.
Most of the time, for most unis, it’s better to have further maths than compsci to study compsci.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads