ClearAsJamal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am 17 and in the middle of my A-Levels, and I am trying to do everything I can to get into Cambridge University to study Computer Science (NOT Computer Science with Mathematics).
Can you recommend what extra courses I should and on what websites (Edx would be preferred.) And other extra curricular activities I can do?

A-Levels - Maths, Physics & Computer Science

My GCSE results were rather mediocre
(Double Science - 8 & 7, Maths - 7, Computer Science - 6, Religious Education - 6, Graphics Design - 6, English Language - 6, Economics - C, English Literature - 5, History - 4, Citizenship - 4)
varx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do further maths and some extra reading.
ClearAsJamal
Rep:
?
(Original post by varx)
Do further maths and some extra reading.
How can I do Further Maths? It's too late to do it in the Sixth Form I am in. And what do you mean by extra reading?
varx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ClearAsJamal)
How can I do Further Maths? It's too late to do it in the Sixth Form I am in. And what do you mean by extra reading?
If you want your application to be considered seriously, take further maths as far as you can (even just up to AS).

And by extra reading I mean read books about computer science.

You should also try and get some programming experience.
ClearAsJamal
Rep:
?
(Original post by varx)
If you want your application to be considered seriously, take further maths as far as you can (even just up to AS).

And by extra reading I mean read books about computer science.

You should also try and get some programming experience.
Thanks for your suggestion but I can't take Further Maths as its way past the deadline to pick another subject (halfway through the year).

Do you have any reccommandations of books to read or places to get programming experience?
RuneFreeze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for your suggestion but I can't take Further Maths as its way past the deadline to pick another subject (halfway through the year).

Do you have any reccommandations of books to read or places to get programming experience?
Are you in the first or second year of sixth form?

If you're in the first year my advice would definitely be to drop Computer Science and do the full Further Maths A level (you could do Computer Science as well if you really wanted to but it's not needed). If your school won't let you then just convince them; tell them you want a realistic chance of reading Computer Science at Cambridge and you can teach yourself if they won't. There's more than enough time; especially given the Summer Holidays.

If you're in the second year then it's a bit tight but I would try and take Further Maths AS on top of everything else. It should be possible to do well if you keep to a tight schedule.

EDIT: Oh and obviously try and learn some programming and try projects (if you can't thing of anything just use google) to demonstrate your passion for the subject in your personal statement.
Last edited by RuneFreeze; 2 years ago
ClearAsJamal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RuneFreeze)
Are you in the first or second year of sixth form?

If you're in the first year my advice would definitely be to drop Computer Science and do the full Further Maths A level (you could do Computer Science as well if you really wanted to but it's not needed). If your school won't let you then just convince them; tell them you want a realistic chance of reading Computer Science at Cambridge and you can teach yourself if they won't. There's more than enough time; especially given the Summer Holidays.

If you're in the second year then it's a bit tight but I would try and take Further Maths AS on top of everything else. It should be possible to do well if you keep to a tight schedule.

EDIT: Oh and obviously try and learn some programming and try projects (if you can't thing of anything just use google) to demonstrate your passion for the subject in your personal statement.
First year, it's halfway through the year though. What happens if I can't take Further Maths? Does it disadvantage me a lot and is it still possible to get in without it?
RuneFreeze
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First year, it's halfway through the year though. What happens if I can't take Further Maths? Does it disadvantage me a lot and is it still possible to get in without it?
I'm not gonna lie, I don't actually know. But it would certainly help for all universities (and further maths is definitely better than comp sci)
RuneFreeze
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes this sounds about right, although I have no idea about the *extent* to which it will be a disadvantage
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You may still be able to do Further Maths to some extent (the Further Maths Support Programme may be able to help with that), for example only taking AS FM, or starting work on it now independently and over the summer to prepare to continue with the material in year 13 (either in your school or as an independent exam candidate).

Programming experience isn't required or expected for most CS courses, including Cambridge. You could look into one of those raspberry pi into schools schemes or suchlike though. The New Turing Omnibus seems to often be suggested as an idea for reading around the subject as a sort of pop-science/"for culture" reading.

I would note from 2015-2018, more than 95% of A-level offer holders for CS at Cambridge had A-level Further Maths (although it is quite a small course so, small changes would skew things a lot; also the data doesn't discriminate between CS and CS with Maths applicants, or indicate how many applied without FM, so some self selection may have been in effect)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ssions_stat_11

It seems somewhat similar to A-level Maths for PPE at Oxford, or 3 sciences for medicine at Cambridge though; while it's not technically a requirement, for people who have it available to them it more or less functionally is by the look of it.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 years ago
Innuendo496
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to this thing recently about writing applications for uni e.t.c. And they said to write " supercurricular activities" ( basically stuff around your subject rather than like writing got grade 5 piano for a computer science application) rather than extra curricular , especially for uni like Oxbridge. ( I don't know if I'm being pedantic and that's what you meant in the post - sorry!)Anyway they said listening to podcasts on your subject ,reading a book on a specific area of your subject and then discussing it in your application, magazines, tv programmes e.t.c. By the way each uni has reading list so definitely worth reading some of those books! Good luck with your exams and application(s) !
wizkid44
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
get coding practise (code academy is good for this and cyberdiscovery)
DipperDolphin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would disagree that you need to be an expert at maths to do computer science. Maybe if you want to be a back end engineer with python, but I write scripts for people and built sites as a part time job and I’m not too great with maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads