City-based universities that have a student-village feel to them?

Watch
Tom208
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking to study at a uni close to the city but is also 'all together', rather than scattered across the city?
Tom208
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying
I'm not sure if I'm honest. A city that is big enough so that I have plenty to do in my spare time (restaurants, shops, leisure facilities, clubs) but also not a huge city to the point of it being too overwhelming.

The dream location would be a campus-based uni, close to a city, but also not too far from somewhere rural. Are my expectations too high?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Campuses are generally "enclosed", so any campus uni will do. If you mean something more specific than that, e.g. a close-knit student bubble with trees or halls proximity to teaching facilities, the question becomes a lot more complicated.

Look on Google Streetview at random unis and see what you like; then try to visit 'em.

Bristol is a bit "rangey" though the main bit is student-central, not many trees. Durham a little bit tighter, all post-modern and ugly buildings, some trees, but also has odd buildings all over the shop.
Tom208
Rep:
?
Yeah, it may sound corny but 'a close knit student bubble with trees' is basically what I'm after. Something enclosed but not far from the city.

For example, I think Edge Hill's university campus is amazing, but it's in the middle of nowhere. If only it was close to a city!
delia0117q
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
goldsmiths is like that imo
emmasmedley
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think Lincoln uni is campus based
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
York is a campus uni and only a 10 min bus journey into town so may be worth looking into, although the city isn’t huge. Surrey is similar, although again not a huge town! But the nature of city universities is that they are spread across the whole city, so any true ‘city’ universities will be quite spread out.
Jackaleksandr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Nottingham isn't bad, either. Extremely close to the city (a 10 minute bus ride, if that), with plenty of natural areas nearby e.g. Attenborough Nature Reserve, Wollaton Hall etc. It's also a short trip to rural areas such as Bakewell. The uni is also campus based.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Queen Mary is an option?

And Leeds as well
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tom208)
Yeah, it may sound corny but 'a close knit student bubble with trees' is basically what I'm after. Something enclosed but not far from the city.

For example, I think Edge Hill's university campus is amazing, but it's in the middle of nowhere. If only it was close to a city!
I think Exeter has the nicest campus I have ever seen, in terms of greenery and being secluded. Also it is on a big hill, so all the girls have these whopping big glutes like Mariusz Pudzianowski.

Princepieman will concur re glutes?
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Uni of Southampton seems to be a single campus but I do not know if it is in a city. I'll tell you after I did my interview which will happen tomorrow.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nottingham? It wasn't that far from the city when I visited (easy tram journey) but the campus seemed very green.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We kind of need to know what you're aiming for academically though. There are a lot of universities out there.
JodieAJP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jackaleksandr)
University of Nottingham isn't bad, either. Extremely close to the city (a 10 minute bus ride, if that), with plenty of natural areas nearby e.g. Attenborough Nature Reserve, Wollaton Hall etc. It's also a short trip to rural areas such as Bakewell. The uni is also campus based.
The good thing about Notts as well is that the uni is extremely close to A&E. Also, I'm from Nottingham and I have NEVER heard of Bakewell so thanks for that little bit of knowledge I gained about my own city today :')
emmasmedley
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't have said Bakewell was near Nottingham tbf :') It's in the Peak District haha
Jackaleksandr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JodieAJP)
The good thing about Notts as well is that the uni is extremely close to A&E. Also, I'm from Nottingham and I have NEVER heard of Bakewell so thanks for that little bit of knowledge I gained about my own city today :')
I'm from Nottingham, too. I just had a quick Google and it's further away than I remember it being at an hours drive, but it's absolutely still worth the trip. Lovely little place in the peak district ^_^.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JodieAJP)
Phew! I personally wouldn't dream of attending a uni which is more than 5 miles away from a major trauma centre.
storm95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Reading, Birmingham, Nottingham, Aston, Leeds, i could go on forever
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I think Exeter has the nicest campus I have ever seen, in terms of greenery and being secluded. Also it is on a big hill, so all the girls have these whopping big glutes like Mariusz Pudzianowski.

Princepieman will concur re glutes?
i can confirm that both glutes and posteriors are uniformly in good shape across the student body
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Strathclyde Glasgow is an amazing university that is literally 5 min from the city center by walking, with accommodation all centered around a central hub, which is also on campus ( allowing you to wake up 5 min before lectures and still get there on time).. Also with it's location and amazing transport links (the train station is down the road). You can travel to loch lomond, the highlands and islands quite cheaply. Or visit the many parks and museums of glasgow. Plus it has a london underground esque metro system.
Last edited by Max1989; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (427)
48.36%

Watched Threads