jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone tell me how to actually learn, memorise and improve my grade for AQA a level biology? Nothing sticks in my head and i’m really concerned cause I want a decent grade :/
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jairobyn)
Can anyone tell me how to actually learn, memorise and improve my grade for AQA a level biology? Nothing sticks in my head and i’m really concerned cause I want a decent grade :/
Don't worry, as a fellow AQA A-Level Biology student, I understand the struggle
Using spaced repetition and active recall has helped me a lot to remember content over long periods of time.

Since the textbook waffles on too much, I make my own simplified notes to learn from. For A-Level Biology, doing as many practice questions as you can is key, since it helps to identify gaps in your knowledge.
jam1e
Rep:
(Original post by Infinite Series)
Don't worry, as a fellow AQA A-Level Biology student, I understand the struggle
Using spaced repetition and active recall has helped me a lot to remember content over long periods of time.

Since the textbook waffles on too much, I make my own simplified notes to learn from. For A-Level Biology, doing as many practice questions as you can is key, since it helps to identify gaps in your knowledge.
Do you use the textbook to make the notes or something else? I feel like note taking takes up so much time for me but they never stick haha
pizzapancakes26
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I do OCR A, but I would say that notes don't really work for me. Textbooks waffle a lot, so I prefer to make flashcards on Quizlet extracting the important info from the textbooks which is required by the specification and then study the cards little and often. Then practice questions from https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ .
All the best, I know biology content is a nightmare!
Infinite Series
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do you use the textbook to make the notes or something else? I feel like note taking takes up so much time for me but they never stick haha
I agree that starting notes from scratch is very time consuming.
I take the notes from https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...90&postcount=1 and add to them from the textbook. These notes are for the old spec, but still cover pretty much all the content for the new spec.
jam1e
Rep:
(Original post by pizzapancakes26)
Hey, I do OCR A, but I would say that notes don't really work for me. Textbooks waffle a lot, so I prefer to make flashcards on Quizlet extracting the important info from the textbooks which is required by the specification and then study the cards little and often. Then practice questions from https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ .
All the best, I know biology content is a nightmare!
I’m not very good at finding quizlet topics with enough content in because i tend to not realise what i’m missing. I do like flashcards i’m just not good at making any that doesn’t have missing content hahah
jam1e
Rep:
(Original post by Infinite Series)
I agree that starting notes from scratch is very time consuming.
I take the notes from https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...90&postcount=1 and add to them from the textbook. These notes are for the old spec, but still cover pretty much all the content for the new spec.
Oh they look good! I’ll take a look at those. Would you say just notes and practise questions is enough? I feel like i’m a very visual learner but A Level videos are lacking
Infinite Series
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oh they look good! I’ll take a look at those. Would you say just notes and practise questions is enough? I feel like i’m a very visual learner but A Level videos are lacking
I haven't found any good Biology videos other than on the CrashCourse youtube channel- they help me to visualise some topics.
I try to learn my notes quite quickly so that I can spend most of my time doing practice questions. You can find these practice questions on sites like Physics&MathsTutor, pxs Biology and 'Miss Miller's Blog'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads