The Student Room Group

Mature applicant - Physiotherapy

Hey guys, I foolishly spent my youth partaking in the drinking and partying scene with friends, peer pressure and a lack of guidance snowballed it all out of control for a long while.
I traveled for a few years to try and figure out what i want from life and what i should do.

Im a British passport holder and a student loan while studying would be nice but there are fairly cheap options around the EU and EEA so going abroad wouldn't be too bad financially. Spain, France, Argentina. somewhere warmer than England.

I never completed my A levels, i only did my AS levels in: History A, English Language B and Sociology C. None of these relate to what i want to pursue now unfortunately and I read that AS levels will soon be obsolete.
Now due to my lack of education and involvement in the field i feel that any late application i make for this year would just be overlooked so i figured ill apply for 2020 and give myself from now until then to try and strengthen my case.

Volunteering (given my lack of experience) as what though?
Is there a 6 month - 12 month course i could take that would greatly improve my chances?
Do i have to start from A levels again and put it off for 2 more years?
Would a Bsc in Sports Exercise and Rehabilitation or another closely related study be viable as a pathway into a career as a physiotherapist?

How much weight do Access to Higher Education courses carry overseas?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Arthur M
Hey guys, I foolishly spent my youth partaking in the drinking and partying scene with friends, peer pressure and a lack of guidance snowballed it all out of control for a long while.
I traveled for a few years to try and figure out what i want from life and what i should do, i was never one of these who knew nor was i the kind to take action unless i had a gut feeling pulling me to that decision.

I never completed my A levels, i only did my AS levels in: History, English Language and Sociology. None of these relate to what i want to pursue now unfortunately and I read that AS levels will soon be obsolete...

I was always a bit of a nerd in school and i don't feel I've lost too much of that studious side to me. Now I near 30 and feel that I need to start getting my life in order and look to the future. I decided to start with education, which should lead to a job but what job? After many, many long months I've figured out what i'm good at and what i enjoy doing and i finally have something that gives me that inspiration or pull, I feel those words don't quiet capture the emotion accurately but you get the idea :smile:.
I enjoy fitness and keeping fit, i recently started taking it more seriously and found myself very intrigued and thirsty for knowledge regarding muscles and training efficiency. Moreover i've been self diagnosing myself by using different exercises and stretches to fix my own lower back and knee pains (struggles of being tall) and found really good success.
While travelling i helped friends with stretches and exercises etc which all sounds very Personal Trainer ish but i want more than that :smile: Im fascinated by the inner workings and the uniqueness of each individual body, hence.
Physiotherapy.

Now due to my lack of education and involvement in the field i feel that any late application i make for this year would just be overlooked so i figured ill apply for 2020 and give myself from now until then to try and strengthen my case.

What would be the best way to go about this?
Volunteering (given my lack of experience) as what though?
Is there a 6 month - 12 month course i could take that would greatly improve my chances?
Do i have to start from A levels again and put it off for 2 more years?
Would a Bsc in Sports Exercise and Rehabilitation or another closely related study be viable as a pathway into a career as a physiotherapist?
Is the goal of going to uni in 2020 highly unrealistic?
How much weight do Access to Higher Education courses carry overseas?

Im sorry for making this so long, i honestly tried to keep it brief but i guess i felt the more i write the more i would be more understood. If you read it all I sincerely thank you for your time, which i hope doesn't now feel wasted :smile:

EDIT: I'd rather not study in the UK, in the EU still for the cheaper fees though, will this affect my chances greatly? Should i just suck it up and study in England?

Less is more in your case. A lot of it just isnt relevant and meanders which detracts from the point of your post.
As far as I could see you have AS levels in: History, English Language and Sociology of undisclosed grades and you sat then c 13 years ago?

You want to be a physio in an undetermined country.

You are likely to need.

1. GCSE English and Maths
2. A level 3 course to get you into uni. Your AS levels are not enough alone in most cases and they may be consired out of date and in the wrong subjects.

Level 3 courses would be
A level (self taught or online) 2 years normal study but up to you.
BTEC (at college, your age may rule out this option.)
IB
Access to HE (Online or @college) Takes 12 months.

3. Its undetermined how you are going to fund this and your edit is Confusing as you say no to the UK, but then you need to find yourself a cheaper EU or other country and make sure the qualification is acceptable for the course you want.
Tbh you need to sort out where you want to study level 3 and degree and how you intend to finance before you can get further advice. I just realised you need to clarify these points to give responder something to work with.
This site is generally for UK qualifications.

Which country will you take level 3 in?
Which country do you intend to do a degree in?
Are you a UK, EU or non EU student?
How long gave you been resident in the UK ?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/physiotherapist
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/physiotherapist
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Less is more in your case. A lot of it just isnt relevant and meanders which detracts from the point of your post.
As far as I could see you have AS levels in: History, English Language and Sociology of undisclosed grades and you sat then c 13 years ago?

You want to be a physio in an undetermined country.

You are likely to need.

1. GCSE English and Maths
2. A level 3 course to get you into uni. Your AS levels are not enough alone in most cases and they may be consired out of date and in the wrong subjects.

Level 3 courses would be
A level (self taught or online) 2 years normal study but up to you.
BTEC (at college, your age may rule out this option.)
IB
Access to HE (Online or @college) Takes 12 months.

3. Its undetermined how you are going to fund this and your edit is Confusing as you say no to the UK, but then you need to find yourself a cheaper EU or other country and make sure the qualification is acceptable for the course you want.
Tbh you need to sort out where you want to study level 3 and degree and how you intend to finance before you can get further advice. I just realised you need to clarify these points to give responder something to work with.
This site is generally for UK qualifications.

Which country will you take level 3 in?
Which country do you intend to do a degree in?
Are you a UK, EU or non EU student?
How long gave you been resident in the UK ?

Hey thank you for the reply, I took onboard what u said and shortened the original post to hopefully make it more accessible.

I've decided I will be doing both my level 3 and Bsc in England as the Advanced learner loan would be a great help.

Is volunteering really necessary to solidify my uni position or is the access to HE the main thing i should focus on?
Would a Bsc in Sports Exercise and Rehabilitation or another closely related study allow me to be a physiotherapist on completion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending