The Student Room Group

what courses do you need A level for to study history?

english, maths,science,art,etc

i heard for history they look for A level in english literature is that true?
The easiest way for you to answer your question is to look at the BA programmes of a number of universities, including the ones you may like to apply to in a couple of years.

On the whole, if you want to study History at Russell Group unis, you will need History A-level. There are some exceptions, but in order to have the broadest choice History A-level is the wisest course of action.

Beyond the Russell Group, however, you will find that unis will be less insistent on History A-level, as long as you can motivate your application in some other way, e.g. English Literature, Welsh First Language, Religious Studies, Philosophy or Law (or another "essay" subject).

Ask yourself, though, if History is your eventual goal, why not take it now for A-level?
(edited 5 years ago)
history a level would be ideal or other essay based subjects.
it'll depend on the uni and degree though, you need to do the research.
Reply 3
(Original post by 学生の父)The easiest way for you to answer your question is to look at the BA programmes of a number of universities, including the ones you may like to apply to in a couple of years.

On the whole, if you want to study History at Russell Group unis, you will need History A-level. There are some exceptions, but in order to have the broadest choice History A-level is the wisest course of action.

Beyond the Russell Group, however, you will find that unis will be less insistent on History A-level, as long as you can motivate your application in some other way, e.g. English Literature, Welsh First Language, Religious Studies, Philosophy or Law (or another "essay" subject).

Ask yourself, though, if History is your eventual goal, why not take it now for A-level?

i chose history for my options last yr but i didnt get it
Original post by Zara7867
(Original post by 学生の父)The easiest way for you to answer your question is to look at the BA programmes of a number of universities, including the ones you may like to apply to in a couple of years.

i chose history for my options last yr but i didnt get it

Oh, I see! Were there too many in the class? What subjects are you taking now?

You'll need to look then for uni courses where History A-level is recommended rather than required. Make sure that the school/college reference clearly states that you wanted to take History, but that it was not available to you. This will establish your committment and motivation.

It will be up to you to do some reading around historical topics over the course of the next year. That's stuff you'll be able to discuss in your own UCAS personal statement.
I am applying for a history degree and currently do English lit, history and psychology at A level. I believe most unis want at least a history A level but not all of them do maybe check online with different unis that you like.

Quick Reply

Latest