Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Should I take design and technology, what type of things do you do ? Is it hard ?
Lilysmithxoxo
Rep:
?
Does anyone have advise on if I should take this as an option for GCSE. I don’t know what you do or if it’s hard.
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
Does anyone have advise on if I should take this as an option for GCSE. I don’t know what you do or if it’s hard.
I would recommend you don't do it, the coursework takes up too much time in year 11.
Lilysmithxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Incarcarus)
I would recommend you don't do it, the coursework takes up too much time in year 11.
Do you know what the course work is
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will have to design and develop a product over the course of quite a few months in year 11 worth 50% of the overall gcse. It takes up a lot of time afterschool and unnecessary stress.
username1876553
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took D.T resistant materials and got an A*. I took my GCSEs in 2017 but I doubt the spec has changed much.

For your coursework, you need to basically write up an overview of building a product (something like a radio or speaker) from start to finish. You choose a famous architect and create a design similar to one of their designs. The coursework (40 pages max) includes a design brief, inspiration summary, questionnaire, 10-week plan and diary of making. There's a bunch of other subunits as well like quality control and environmental value. You do your coursework whilst building your product so its easy to complete the diary entry every week after making some part of your product. The plan helps keep you on track. For the written exam its basic content, advantages of using wood, different types of plastic, safety signs etc

It depends on the person if you're on top of your work you'll be able to do it easily. If I’m being honest, the coursework was really easy, I ended up really writing everything a couple weeks before the due date (around March) as I grasped a better understanding once my product was actually made.

I opened up my coursework again after seeing your thread and I’m cringing so bad, so much bs in it I can upload it if you want?
Lilysmithxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dunya)
I took D.T resistant materials and got an A*. I took my GCSEs in 2017 but I doubt the spec has changed much.

For your coursework, you need to basically write up an overview of building a product (something like a radio or speaker) from start to finish. You choose a famous architect and create a design similar to one of their designs. The coursework (40 pages max) includes a design brief, inspiration summary, questionnaire, 10-week plan and diary of making. There's a bunch of other subunits as well like quality control and environmental value. You do your coursework whilst building your product so its easy to complete the diary entry every week after making some part of your product. The plan helps keep you on track. For the written exam its basic content, advantages of using wood, different types of plastic, safety signs etc

It depends on the person if you're on top of your work you'll be able to do it easily. If I’m being honest, the coursework was really easy, I ended up really writing everything a couple weeks before the due date (around March) as I grasped a better understanding once my product was actually made.

I opened up my coursework again after seeing your thread and I’m cringing so bad, so much bs in it I can upload it if you want?
Yes thank you that would be really helpful
Amybrown__
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have taken it this year and don’t think it is that hard, coursework is a lot less than art. It is not that hard to get very high in coursework if u take a look at the mark scheme and make sure u show development (I managed to get 100% in coursework)
The written exam contains stuff from every dt -textiles, woodwork, electronics, mechanics etc..
I did textiles so it was a bit annoying that most of it was not textiles and the electronic stuff was very hard.
But overall I recommend it because it’s not too much work and is very enjoyable.
Ask me any questions,

(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
Should I take design and technology, what type of things do you do ? Is it hard ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads