University choice ADVICE PLS Watch

pepsicola13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

I have been accepted at Exeter Uni, Cardiff Uni, Southampton Uni and Winchester Uni. Although my parents really want me to go to Exeter or one of the other Russell Group Universities (as I did well at A-level and they’ve always had high hopes for me), I have been finding myself more and more interested in studying at Winchester. It is local, like Southampton, but my girlfriend studies and lives at Winchester and loves it. I have stayed with her there on multiple occasions and loved the atmosphere, shops, campus etc...I also feel that I would be a lot happier if I could see her more often.

The smallness of the university really appeals to me as I spent a semester studying at Uni of Birmingham (a Russell Group Uni) and was very unhappy there. This has made me think that Russell Groups aren’t all necessarily good.

My parents do not know of my relationship but are not keen on her, or on me going to Winchester, despite me already knowing that this is a serious relationship that I want to last a long time. We were long distance for a period of 3-4 months and, although we got through, I do not want to have to go through it again...

Do you think going to Winchester would be a choice I regret later in life, due to it not being a Russell Group? Is it worth disappointing my parents?

Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Laurence010401
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cardiff and Winchester I have visited
Exeter I’m hoping to
Anyway
Winchester is a really nice small university, in a really nice small city, and even if you got good A level grades, you need to go where you would feel the most comfortable. Not where your parents want you to go. Well unless those places are the same
So yeah it sounds like you definitely should go to Winchester
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pepsicola13)
Hey,

I have been accepted at Exeter Uni, Cardiff Uni, Southampton Uni and Winchester Uni. Although my parents really want me to go to Exeter or one of the other Russell Group Universities (as I did well at A-level and they’ve always had high hopes for me), I have been finding myself more and more interested in studying at Winchester. It is local, like Southampton, but my girlfriend studies and lives at Winchester and loves it. I have stayed with her there on multiple occasions and loved the atmosphere, shops, campus etc...I also feel that I would be a lot happier if I could see her more often.

The smallness of the university really appeals to me as I spent a semester studying at Uni of Birmingham (a Russell Group Uni) and was very unhappy there. This has made me think that Russell Groups aren’t all necessarily good.

My parents do not know of my relationship but are not keen on her, or on me going to Winchester, despite me already knowing that this is a serious relationship that I want to last a long time. We were long distance for a period of 3-4 months and, although we got through, I do not want to have to go through it again...

Do you think going to Winchester would be a choice I regret later in life, due to it not being a Russell Group? Is it worth disappointing my parents?

Thanks
Hi, it is pretty obvious that your main reason for wanting to pick Winchester is just that your girlfriend goes there, and that is not the best of reasons as it might be a choice you regret later in life if it affects your career prospects and it will also disappoint your parents. I'm all for picking a Uni to please yourself, not others, but in this case I think you are putting too much emphasis on being at the same Uni as your girlfriend, when there is an option that would enable you to attend a Russell Group Uni and still see her regularly. Southampton Uni is really close to Winchester (a mere 45 minute train journey) so that seems like a good compromise to me. You could attend a Uni appropriate to your grades, keep your parents happy and still see your girlfriend every weekend if you wanted, and mid week too! Southampton also has a small campus, and just because you had a bad experience at Birmingham, it doesn't follow that you wouldn't be happy at another RG Uni.
pepsicola13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pepsicola13)
(Original post by harrysbar)
It wouldn't even be a 45 minute trip, because you'd go to/from Southampton Airport Parkway rather than Central, which is about 20 minutes, plus 10-15 minute bus ride from the uni campus to the train station, or less if you go from one of the nearer accommodation sites. I used to do that commute daily (in the other direction; studying at Southampton and living at home near Winchester, and getting the train from there) and it's certainly a reasonable trip to make even fairly regularly (it was a bit a draining for me to do daily because I also had to get a 30 minute bus from my village to Winchester, which was also expensive and inconsistent, but you won't have that problem, and the uni buses were pretty reasonable and reliable :P ).

Of course you may prefer Winchester for other reasons, but I think it'd be worth considering Southampton as well and decide on the merits of the courses etc, rather than the partner factor, as either university should be able to satisfy that then. Winch can be pretty expensive to live in though, whereas Southampton (around the uni area) was fairly cheap when I was there.

It'd probably be about a 3 hour trip from Exeter and changing at Basingstoke (done that one too!). So not bad for going when you finish term or maybe occasionally otherwise, but not feasibly something you'd be doing every week (or even month, when you account for the cost). Exeter is also on the more expensive side to live in. I personally found Southampton a nicer environment than Exeter...

I don't know anything about Cardiff though, sorry :/
Joe2Jonas
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Listen

I have always lived in Cardiff for my life and currently studing a dgeree I will give you the best advice possible. PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR DEGREE FOR YOURSELF! Its not your parents who are going to be stressing for a Turn it In Deadline or worrying about the exam. You need to ask yourself do I like the course strcuture?, What support do I get after my degree? How is the student services support like mental health?, Do I like the location and the practicality of the city.

I am sorry for being brutal now and I am sure I want you and your girlfriend to last but trust me when I say this you can't predict how long anyone relationship last and you got to do it for you as you are going to be the one paying for this degree at the end of the day and don't want to rush into a decision that you will ultimately regret if its for someone else other than yourself.

I don't go to a Russell Group University and its fine you just have to choose whats right for you
Nautilus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here is a link comparing the universities:

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...&i=1343&i=1386

You need to consider the graduate opportunities, which are much lower from Winchester. IMO the fact that your girlfiriend is at Winchester is NOT a reason to go there, and I think that Southampton could be a good fit for you. My cousin went there and loved it. My other cousin went to Winchester, graduated last year and is now pulling pints in a bar for a living because he can't get a roper job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed