The Student Room Group

part-time job for a student in London/how to cover the costs of living in London?

I got an offer from a university in London(ICL) and I am going to move there. As I am an EU student, I can't get a maintenance loan, and my parents can't support me. It would be very helpful for me If you could answer any of the following questions:

Are there any alternatives to cover the costs of living? Maybe some other kind of loan?

How small can the cost of living be if I live as economically as possible?

How likely is it to find a part-time job in London that would cover the costs of living in London and what kind of job can it be?

Is it possible to find a job that is connected to the area of my study (Chemical Engineering)?

How cheap can accommodation in London be (including the cost of electricity, water and so on)? I am fine with renting the cheapest room possible

If you have any other pieces of advice, I would be very glad to read them. Thank you in advance for your answers.
Jobs wise- there are plenty of shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, restaurants, cafes,tourist attractions that you could apply to. These sorts of places take on a lot of students.
Mcdonalds is deffo worth a try.
Have you had a look to see if you're entitled to any sort of bursary/scholarship?

Usually these are reserved for UK students at UK unis, but there may be an international programme that ICL have.

Otherwise, pretty much as Emma has said.
It's extremely unlikely to find any Chemical Engineering related jobs as first year, at least none that are not based on work experience/internships/placements.

When you don't live in halls, your cheapest options are to share accommodation costs with friends or rent a room.
Original post by Emma:-)
Jobs wise- there are plenty of shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, restaurants, cafes,tourist attractions that you could apply to. These sorts of places take on a lot of students.
Mcdonalds is deffo worth a try.

Original post by JaredzzC
Have you had a look to see if you're entitled to any sort of bursary/scholarship?

Usually these are reserved for UK students at UK unis, but there may be an international programme that ICL have.

Otherwise, pretty much as Emma has said.
It's extremely unlikely to find any Chemical Engineering related jobs as first year, at least none that are not based on work experience/internships/placements.

When you don't live in halls, your cheapest options are to share accommodation costs with friends or rent a room.

Thank you for your answers!
Original post by nissanskyliner34
Thank you for your answers!

Let us know how you get on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending