USA Powerlifting bans transgender athletes from competing Watch

Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Both male-to-female and female-to-male transgender athletes have been banned from professional competition by USA Powerlifting.

The organisation cites unfair advantages these athletes would have over the their competitors. 'Male-to-female' athletes would have gone through male puberty, have male bone structure, and other physiological advantages over their female competitors. 'Female-to-male' athletes would be using androgens which conflicts with policy on steroids and is not subject to a Therapeutic Use Exemption sometimes granted for medication.

Their transgender policy can be read here: https://www.usapowerlifting.com/tran...pation-policy/

What do you think?

I think this is fair and should see wider implementation in professional sport. These athletes have gained advantages over their competitors by entering settings not intended for their physiology, and some are essentially doping. If you want to compete in a professional sport, you should satisfy the conditions of actually being male or female and not be on steroids that would give you an advantage.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This makes sense but it must feel bad for trans weightlifters who aren't eligible to take part at a competitive level.
Azeee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Makes sense, the same policy should apply to all sports. There was a story of a male-to-female MMA fighter/wrestler or something and "she" absolutely crushed her opponent, obviously due her having many male traits and the strength/speed benefits that come with it.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Could happen in the tennis scene too, bloke ranked 25 in the world feels like trying to reach a Wimbledon final in an unusual way. If he felt like it...
Dandaman1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zhog)
Could happen in the tennis scene too, bloke ranked 25 in the world feels like trying to reach a Wimbledon final in an unusual way. If he felt like it...
It's a lose-lose situation as a man entering a women's competition, though. If you win, then you're just some ******** who beat a bunch of women. And if you lose, then it's humiliating because you just lost to a bunch of women... Either way, you won't look good.
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
It's a lose-lose situation as a man entering a women's competition, though. If you win, then you're just some ******** who beat a bunch of women. And if you lose, then it's humiliating because you just lost to a bunch of women... Either way, you won't look good.
Doesn't seem to bother (insert appropriate pronoun):

New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard went into the women’s +90kg finals at the Commonwealth Games as favourite, expected not only to win but also perhaps break records.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/09/transgender-weightlifter-laurel-hubbards-eligibility-under-scrutiny

Equality gone mad, available at every superstore soon.
username4470000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
lol Trans weight lifters. A 20 stone guy built like a brick sh*t house in a dress dominating the womens competition. This the problem to it all. Look at the strong man competitions. They are huge guys. Pull trucks and planes. What if in this spirit of equality one of them decided to be trans and wanted to compete against women. 7 foot 400lbs+ Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson deadlifting 1200lbs vs female power lifters
Last edited by username4470000; 2 weeks ago
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems pretty reasonable really.
Just my opinion
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At the rate we are going individual women's sport will be dead within a generation, dominated by m2fs
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
At the rate we are going individual women's sport will be dead within a generation, dominated by m2fs
We can only pray Tyson Fury doesn't have a funny turn, then there would be nobody left to stand up to Wilder. This could get complicated one day.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
It doesn't matter since at some level you can earn millions even losing. Lots of people would chop their legs off if they didn't have to go to work thanks to that, not to mention becoming a millionaire.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
This makes sense but it must feel bad for trans weightlifters who aren't eligible to take part at a competitive level.
Transgender people are 1% of society or less.
Considering how many other problems are there, there is no reason to waste time on them.

And the solution is simple; introduce male-to-female and female-to-male trangender classes.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 weeks ago
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Is there any actual evidence that M2F trans women are entering women's sports in large enough numbers to displace female born competitors from podium places?
Libtardian
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why not give them their own league?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Smack)
Is there any actual evidence that M2F trans women are entering women's sports in large enough numbers to displace female born competitors from podium places?
A large enough number would be one. Surely?
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
A large enough number would be one. Surely?
Given the amount of different weight classes and federations, it would take more than one M2F lifter to dominate the sport.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Smack)
Given the amount of different weight classes and federations, it would take more than one M2F lifter to dominate the sport.
You didn't say 'dominate the sport'. You said 'gain podium places'
LJM21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't see why this was allowed in the first place.
fecalpopsicle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would pay to see a transgender powerlifting competition.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lol suddenly every male powerlifer wants to wear a skirt... not a good idea to say the least, trans people are not that numerous to warrant such a change as well as huge inequalities due to inherent difference between men and women in strength and muscle mass....
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Considering that m2f New Zealand powerlifter beat the 2nd place female athlete by 20kg and towered above everyone else in the competition. Isn't that proof enough?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.16%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.46%
No, I am unable to (163)
23.76%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.13%