Investigating the Effect of Lipase Concentration on the Breakdown of Fat in Milk

Watch this thread
NotI'mA
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I completed a required practical on enzymes in school and don't know the answers to the questions about it:

1) Lipase is a digestive enzyme that breaks lipids (fats) down into fatty acids and glycerol. Full-fat milk has a pH of 6.5.
Predict what will happen to the pH of full-fat milk as lipids are broken down.
Explain your prediction.

(I can't seem to find anything online about this that doesn't have to do with using phenolphthalein as a pH indicator. Please help, I'd be really grateful)
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NotI'mA)
I completed a required practical on enzymes in school and don't know the answers to the questions about it:

1) Lipase is a digestive enzyme that breaks lipids (fats) down into fatty acids and glycerol. Full-fat milk has a pH of 6.5.
Predict what will happen to the pH of full-fat milk as lipids are broken down.
Explain your prediction.

(I can't seem to find anything online about this that doesn't have to do with using phenolphthalein as a pH indicator. Please help, I'd be really grateful)
As lipids are broken down to glycerol and fatty Acids you should expect the pH to get lower as it becomes more acidic. This is because more free acids will become available. Depending on the pH of the fatty acids, different fatty acids have different pH and those with fewer carbon atoms are more acidic and thus have lower pH.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 3 years ago
NotI'mA
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
As lipids are broken down to glycerol and fatty Acids you should expect the pH to get lower as it becomes more acidic. This is because more free acids will become available. Depending on the pH of the fatty acids, different fatty acids have different pH and those with fewer carbon atoms are more acidic and thus have lower pH.
Thank you so much!
This helps a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (7)
31.82%
As I expected (4)
18.18%
Harder (10)
45.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.55%

Watched Threads