is the energy released when new bonds form equal to average bond enthalpy

Watch
utv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
is the energy released when new bonds form equal to the average bond enthalpy?

as shouldn't this be the assumption when doing reactants-products and if so why are they equal
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by utv)
is the energy released when new bonds form equal to the average bond enthalpy?

as shouldn't this be the assumption when doing reactants-products and if so why are they equal
no
utv
Rep:
?
why do we use the average bond enthalpy of reactants- average bond enthalpy of the products then

as bond enthalpy is energy required to break the bond and why would we want to know that if we want to know the amount of energy released
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by utv)
why do we use the average bond enthalpy of reactants- average bond enthalpy of the products then

as bond enthalpy is energy required to break the bond and why would we want to know that if we want to know the amount of energy released
because it gives us a close value.

"average" means out of a large selection of the same bonds in similar molecules.
utv
Rep:
?
my words aren't great I guess I mean I have a C-H bond. when this bond is formed some energy is released. is this energy released the same as the energy required to break that bond .

the reason why I ask this is to calculate enthalpy change

we do energy required to break bonds - energy released when new bonds form using average bond enthalpy

this difference gives us overall the energy released/gained in the system

but why would we use average bond to work out the energy released when new bonds form if the energy released when new bonds form isn't equal to the energy required to break bonds

I hope my question now makes sense. I'm not the greatest at chemistry and really appreciate your help
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by utv)
my words aren't great I guess I mean I have a C-H bond. when this bond is formed some energy is released. is this energy released the same as the energy required to break that bond .
The energy required to break a bond (the bond dissociation enthalpy) is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the energy released when the same bond is formed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads