The Student Room Group

Did i make the biggest mistake regarding my a levels and can i fix it

I chose Maths, physics and economics at A level thinking i don't want to do medicine. But now, i feel as though i may have made the biggest mistake ever, i think i really want to do medicine but i don't even have chemistry a level and i'm half way through Year 12 now.
Is there any possible way to be able to study medicine now? What do i do?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well it’s too late to change your subjects so you’d have to move schools and start at the beginning again, I wouldn’t do this, do you enjoy Chemistry, because it takes more than a hunch to want to pursue medicine.
drop econ, take up chem and do a gap year i guess
You would have to changed subjects. Ideally biology and chemistry (most med schools want both) but that would be changing two of your subjects. It is possible to change subjects now (well school dependent) but would be a lot of work.
Reply 4
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Well it’s too late to change your subjects so you’d have to move schools and start at the beginning again, I wouldn’t do this, do you enjoy Chemistry, because it takes more than a hunch to want to pursue medicine.

Yes, i'm naturally good at chemistry, it just comes to me, if that makes sense and i did really well in it at GCSE with no revision. I feel like i really want this now
Reply 5
Do you know if top universities such as KCL do a foundation year?
I started further maths half way in year 12...
I think you will be OK if you think you can out extra effort.
Actually why don't you do this,

You are doing 3 a level right now
Take the chemistry as 4th a level and see how it goes..
You got like options now
A) do 4 subject if you feel confident
B) drop economic and do chemistry
C) just drop chemistry and continue what you were doing
Reply 8
Original post by Personal_17
Actually why don't you do this,

You are doing 3 a level right now
Take the chemistry as 4th a level and see how it goes..
You got like options now
A) do 4 subject if you feel confident
B) drop economic and do chemistry
C) just drop chemistry and continue what you were doing

That's definitely a good idea and has crossed my mind but what if my school doesn't let me take up chemistry or drop economics and do chemistry?
Due to personal reasons my family moved to the uk half way through year 12 so I picked up 3 A Levels in 1.5 years. I got AAB, which is less than you need for medicine but it is obviously doable! (I did Maths, biology and economics)
Hi
Of course you can change your A-levels!!! Also I think it's wonderful you know what you want to do now :smile: Have you considered taking a break from your school life and starting from the beginning this September? That way you can do Biology, Chemistry etc and it won't count as taking more than two years.Furthermore, you can get a job/volunteer experience during your break in a care/hospital environment! That would show how driven you are to get into medicine. Trust me, this change of heart can work in your favour. Wishing you all the best
(edited 5 years ago)
Well what other choice does OP have if they want to do Medicine, foundation Med is as I’m sure you know, incredibly hard to get into, much more than regular undergrad, it’s more likely OP will get into a course where they do accept people who take more than 2 years to complete their A-Levels.
Original post by KatherineLeFay
Hi dear, please ignore all these doom and gloom people. Of course you can change your A-levels!!! Also I think it's wonderful you know what you want to do now :smile: Have you considered taking a break from your school life and starting from the beginning this September? That way you can do Biology, Chemistry etc and it won't count as taking more than two years.Furthermore, you can get a job/volunteer experience during your break in a care/hospital environment! That would show how driven you are to get into medicine. Trust me, this change of heart can work in your favour. Wishing you all the best

I don’t think OP is very clear about whether or not she wants to do Medicine, dropping out on just a feeling that she’d like to do Medicine isn’t wise.
Reply 13
100% agree - especially about the practicalities of adding Chem plus the extra/supercurriculars expected for medicine.

Foundation or GEM is the way to go (would GEM require the addition of a Chem and/or Bio A-level at some stage?)
Reply 14
:lttd:
Reply 15
FIFY - no you aren't, you're realistic and practical. We are the best people :woo:
Reply 16
I said top medical school as, yes the course itself is equal in all, but each uni has a rep.
I'd like to do medicine as my parents always said through senior school they could see me as a doctor, as did my teachers. But I didn't know much then and i was ignorant, sadly until recently about all this. Yes this idea/ decision is very very recent but I want to do medicine because now i can genuinely see myself becoming a doctor and enjoying the challenges i'll face along the way and overcoming them. I see myself enjoying learning all that I will as part of this journey.
So far, I thought i would study computer science at KCL or Oxford and so i have done some work experience related to that and i have a JP Morgan summer programme and work experience lined up for this summer as well.
Any advice is appreciated :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by KatherineLeFay
Hi dear, please ignore all these doom and gloom people. Of course you can change your A-levels!!! Also I think it's wonderful you know what you want to do now :smile: Have you considered taking a break from your school life and starting from the beginning this September? That way you can do Biology, Chemistry etc and it won't count as taking more than two years.Furthermore, you can get a job/volunteer experience during your break in a care/hospital environment! That would show how driven you are to get into medicine. Trust me, this change of heart can work in your favour. Wishing you all the best

Aww thank you so much. I haven't really considered that as, like others are saying, this is a very recent choice. It just hit me that i feel i may have made a very wrong decision that affects my whole life.
Thank you so much for your positivity and wishes :smile:
Reply 18
Yes i have looked into the link you sent me and researched some more.
I have been looking for some work experience opportunities and will get back to you with any further questions. Thank you so much for your help so far :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending