The Student Room Group

CIE AS Level MCQ

I've been practicing for my board exams for CIE As Level and I'm not doing too well in MCQ. I'm far better doing structured papers than MCQ. There's just something about MCQ's that make it look hard. I've been working on Chemistry, Biology, and Physics MCQ papers and I'm doing relatively much better in Physics and biology but I could do better. I'm only getting D's in Chemistry MCQ's and I desperately need to improve.

Does anyone have tips and tricks for MCQ's in Biology, Physics or chemistry?

Please leave them down below.

Thank you for your help, really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Trick is to solve as many papers and try to memorise the important things because many things do repeat, from previous years in the latest!
also, upload your problems here so that we may help.
sit with your teacher and solve questions in supervision to get less distracted and have better confidence and focus.
make notes. Write. Rewrite. Read. Reread.
Can you share mcq resources
For chemistry, you should rely on tricks rather than working as there is a really tight time restriction. You will be able to solve organic after some practice. As for inorganic, you need to memorize it as well as you can.
Original post by stanfuturemd
I've been practicing for my board exams for CIE As Level and I'm not doing too well in MCQ. I'm far better doing structured papers than MCQ. There's just something about MCQ's that make it look hard. I've been working on Chemistry, Biology, and Physics MCQ papers and I'm doing relatively much better in Physics and biology but I could do better. I'm only getting D's in Chemistry MCQ's and I desperately need to improve.
Does anyone have tips and tricks for MCQ's in Biology, Physics or chemistry?
Please leave them down below.
Thank you for your help, really appreciated :smile:

Hey I got a perfect score for the MCQ paper for biology and this is what I did. I did get my knowledge on all concepts down but I tried to understand em instead of memorizing em. Some things I think that allowed me to ensure all the right answers during the exam:

Read key info and underlined/circled important info given.

Did process of elimination and circled the questions I wasn't quite sure of.

Though I put in all my answers within 20 minutes, I re-read the paper 13 times and changed a lot of my answers

I questioned why each of the answers I did not choose were in fact not the right one and why the one I did at the end was.

I drew diagrams to illustrate my thought process (lots of graphs like for Km).

Finally read everything they give you. Read the units, the graph titles, the table titles, the question (singular/plural words trip me up sometimes).

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending