The Student Room Group

Highers or Advanced Highers

So I’m making my decisions for S6 and I was wondering why universities preferred. Highers or advanced Highers?
I know that advanced Highers are obviously at a more advanced level but since they’re in the same subjects as I’ve done before do you think crash Highers would look better as I’ve never done the subject before.

(Btw I don’t know where to post this so sorry if it’s in the wrong place)
Check the entry requirements for the courses you're interested in - I know that Glasgow University, for one, asks for Advanced Highers for entry to some courses from S6. If you think you can get the grades needed for entry this year, then I'd recommend Advanced Highers; I think studies have shown that people who take them in subjects related to their uni course tend to do better because they bridge the gap between Highers and uni, and most universities recognise that.
Original post by aphamanda
So I’m making my decisions for S6 and I was wondering why universities preferred. Highers or advanced Highers?
I know that advanced Highers are obviously at a more advanced level but since they’re in the same subjects as I’ve done before do you think crash Highers would look better as I’ve never done the subject before.

I think generally if you’ve decided or got an idea of what subject you’d like to study at uni, I’d take it at AH if you can. It shows enthusiasm for your subject because you’re willing to take it at the highest level you’re offered at school and universities appreciate that. Some uni talks that I’ve been to have actually said that AH’s are more valuable for them in 6th year because they recognise that level of commitment instead of “crashing” a subject which can be a bit random. It doesn’t really look better because even though it might be more difficult picking up something you don’t know a lot about, it’s not as much work altogether as doing 2/3 AH’s. And it’s already been said as well that AH’s really do bridge the gap between 6th year and uni as AH’s are equivalent to 1st year uni work so it won’t be such a shock to the system. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by aphamanda

Depends what you want to do.
If you want to apply to england you will need advanced highers. Highers are fine for most courses in scotland. I'd say go on to AH if you know what you want to do in the future. If you're still unsure and want to keep options open then do Highers or you could do a mix

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending