The Student Room Group

Should I take maths A-level if I want to do a science at uni

I am choosing biology, chemistry and geography A-levels but I also need to choose a 4th subject, I will then choose one subject to drop at the end of my first A-level year. I am planing on doing something like a natural sciences degree at uni.I would like to choose RS or psychology as my 4th option but I think maths would go better with my other options and be more useful for a science degree. I don't enjoy it although I am predicted a 8/9 at GCSE. Is it a better choice to do maths which I may not enjoy but could be quite useful or for example RS which I know I will enjoy?
Maths is a very respectable a level that is useful for many aspects of science. But if you don’t enjoy it, you probably won’t be motivated to get a good grade.
Most well respected science degrees (other than biology) require maths A Level (Physics and Chemistry both do). It also makes science a levels a lot easier and almost guarantees you marks in the exams (such as the statistics section of biology)
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, I don't enjoy physics and I'm mainly just doing chemistry to help with doing a possible biology/biological sciences/natural sciences degree. So basically I just love biology but I dont enjoy maths so dont want to do it, I just want to check that I would be able to take my biology further without a maths A-level. Does this change your opinion?
More maths is always useful for prospective scientists, in any field, so it seems a natural choice to do it. Being a scientist isn't like being a doctor, where you might be more focused on providing care to patients than doing research, designing experiments, analysing data etc, and so maths less useful or essential. This latter stuff is what it means to be a scientist. Of course, you can do a science degree without becoming a scientist, but that begs the question of why not do another degree? If you don't want to learn the language of modern science (yes, even biology), that is to say maths, why do you want to do science? It's like wanting to do a history degree without using primary sources. Consider your motivations in wanting to pursue a science course - what are your long term goals? Does it make sense to pursue a science course for these?

While as above if you aren't motivated to do well in it you likely won't, but given you'll be dropping a subject after a year anyway you're really in a no-lose situation. The subject you might drop may as well be maths so at least you have had some exposure to post-GCSE mathematics before you start your degree. If you take it, do well, and find the A-level content more engaging than the GCSE content (which is what I found; I didn't particularly like GCSE Maths and did decently in it but was never particularly motivated for it, but found the A-level content much more interesting both in of itself and in it's applications) you can continue, if not, drop it.

Given your situation, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least attempt it. Additionally neither RS nor Psychology give you any more options when it comes to applying to degrees than you have now, and don't add any skills you aren't already developing in your other A-level options (in e.g. written communication etc, via Biology and Geography). There are some natural sciences courses, and many other STEM courses beyond that, that require A-level Maths (or at least some post-GCSE Maths) however, and you at least give yourself the possibility of having this wider range of options available to you by taking it.

This is I think a case where it's worth taking a chance, since you always have your first three subjects to fall back on if you don't like maths :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Biology degrees do not require A level maths, but they require a decent level of mathematical skill. In your position, I would see if your school offers Core Maths (an AS Level equivalent) or even AS Maths if you don’t enjoy maths but want to prove to university tutors you have what it takes to keep up with the mathematical demand of a biology/natsci course.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
More maths is always useful for prospective scientists, in any field, so it seems a natural choice to do it. Being a scientist isn't like being a doctor, where you might be more focused on providing care to patients than doing research, designing experiments, analysing data etc, and so maths less useful or essential. This latter stuff is what it means to be a scientist. Of course, you can do a science degree without becoming a scientist, but that begs the question of why not do another degree? If you don't want to learn the language of modern science (yes, even biology), that is to say maths, why do you want to do science? It's like wanting to do a history degree without using primary sources. Consider your motivations in wanting to pursue a science course - what are your long term goals? Does it make sense to pursue a science course for these?

While as above if you aren't motivated to do well in it you likely won't, but given you'll be dropping a subject after a year anyway you're really in a no-lose situation. The subject you might drop may as well be maths so at least you have had some exposure to post-GCSE mathematics before you start your degree. If you take it, do well, and find the A-level content more engaging than the GCSE content (which is what I found; I didn't particularly like GCSE Maths and did decently in it but was never particularly motivated for it, but found the A-level content much more interesting both in of itself and in it's applications) you can continue, if not, drop it.

Given your situation, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least attempt it. Additionally neither RS nor Psychology give you any more options when it comes to applying to degrees than you have now, and don't add any skills you aren't already developing in your other A-level options (in e.g. written communication etc, via Biology and Geography). There are some natural sciences courses, and many other STEM courses beyond that, that require A-level Maths (or at least some post-GCSE Maths) however, and you at least give yourself the possibility of having this wider range of options available to you by taking it.

This is I think a case where it's worth taking a chance, since you always have your first three subjects to fall back on if you don't like maths :smile:

This is all very useful, thank you! I think you have confirmed what I am thinking. My main problem is that I think I would reallly enjoy RS or psychology, also in my maths set at school we have been learning the further maths GCSE course which I have found very difficult and have decided not to take the exam in it. I partly think if I struggle with that then I will find A-level even harder, but I think it might be worth me taking maths because it will be very useful for me.
Original post by Amy1302
This is all very useful, thank you! I think you have confirmed what I am thinking. My main problem is that I think I would reallly enjoy RS or psychology, also in my maths set at school we have been learning the further maths GCSE course which I have found very difficult and have decided not to take the exam in it. I partly think if I struggle with that then I will find A-level even harder, but I think it might be worth me taking maths because it will be very useful for me

Biology and Chemistry obviously compliment each other brilliantly. Psychology and geography also compliments biology well (many of my friends take psych and bio). This means you won’t have a problem with the science side of a science degree. RS however doesn’t make a huge amount of sense with the others (even if you enjoy it), and a university interviewer will likely ask you why you chose it over subjects like maths, physics or statistics. As long as you’re well equipped to answer the inevitable question, you should be fine.
Reply 8
It could get you a lower offer in some circumstances. Some universities will give a lower offer if you study two or three sciences at A-level.

Don't take 4 distinct separate subjects. It's unnecessary in this case, full stop.
Original post by Amy1302
Thank you for your reply, I don't enjoy physics and I'm mainly just doing chemistry to help with doing a possible biology/biological sciences/natural sciences degree. So basically I just love biology but I dont enjoy maths so dont want to do it, I just want to check that I would be able to take my biology further without a maths A-level. Does this change your opinion?

If you want to do natural sciences then pls do maths. Its really important. Almost every natural science degree has a compulsary maths module.

Its helpful to do atleast AS maths.

Quick Reply

Latest