Does anyone know any websites I can find cheap flights or train tickets? Watch

HanimalGurl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am trying to find the cheapest flights and/ or train tickets for my university offer holder open days, so that the price of train and hotels don't build up too much.

London --> Swansea
London --> Loughborough
London --> Exeter

Like come on a flight to Amsterdam is cheaper than a flight to Swansea, whaaaa?????
Last edited by HanimalGurl; 1 month ago
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't pay for a hotel? Do it one day if you can. Early morning train, later evening train (unless it means you can't make it to certain talks).
Split ticketing for trains can be good
Telomere
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try the flybe website for flights London -> Swansea and also for London -> Exeter

If you are looking at train fares, make sure you have a railcard and try using Trainsplitting

Also look at Megbus if you don't mind spending a but longer on the journey to save a few ££

Good luck!
Miss_Tee9
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try skyscanner, they compare flights & train tickets
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Miss_Tee9; 1 month ago
Nautilus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use The Trainline for tickets, but being pretty good at geography and having a knowledge of railway routes helps. For instance a return ticket to Glasgow can cost me about £80 from where I liv, but because I can choose a route that involves a couple of changes en route I can get it down to £43 return. Also, do you have a 16 - 25 railcard? If not it is worth buying one because the savings you will make on those journeys will pay for it. Also, the time of day you travel will affect prices.

Have you considered National Express or Megabus (which is £32 return for Glasgow from here)
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HanimalGurl)
I am trying to find the cheapest flights and/ or train tickets for my university offer holder open days, so that the price of train and hotels don't build up too much.

London --> Swansea
London --> Loughborough
London --> Exeter

Like come on a flight to Amsterdam is cheaper than a flight to Swansea, whaaaa?????
You want advance train tickets, make sure they're the ones you're looking at - you'll need to decide your travel times in advance then buy the tickets. Also, get a railcard if you don't have one already, this will likely pay for itself if you don't have one yet. I'd look at the coaches too, sometimes I get the train one way and the coach back if that works out well depending on prices/times.

The only place of the three you can fly to from London is Exeter, but the train is usually cheaper and you don't have to deal with airports.

Finally unless they want you there early (unlikely for these days) you should be able to do a day return, instead of spending loads of money on hotels and eating out.
HanimalGurl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks so much guys! I'll have a look at all of these tomorrow, already found a few good deals from these websites.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Although I am to late: Swoodoo.com is a good internet page to look for the cheapest flights to travel. Try it there!
Apart from the fact that it's in German and that you can't fly between these places, I would definitely recommend this. :lol:
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Apart from the fact that it's in German and that you can't fly between these places, I would definitely recommend this. :lol:
Always thought that it is an international page, my bad. Just forget what I was talking about. :lol:
Philander33
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Always thought that it is an international page, my bad. Just forget what I was talking about. :lol:
Thanks for reminding us.
Philander33
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glad to know that you are going to celebrate 'holder open days' and now want to book tickets. Are you interested in online booking? I have heard about this. And lots of people are doing this by sitting at home. This not only saves your time but the cost as well. Lots of cheap flights sites available on the Internet. You might get them if you search.

Thank you so much! Enjoy with your friends.
HanimalGurl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Nautilus)
I use The Trainline for tickets, but being pretty good at geography and having a knowledge of railway routes helps. For instance a return ticket to Glasgow can cost me about £80 from where I liv, but because I can choose a route that involves a couple of changes en route I can get it down to £43 return. Also, do you have a 16 - 25 railcard? If not it is worth buying one because the savings you will make on those journeys will pay for it. Also, the time of day you travel will affect prices.

Have you considered National Express or Megabus (which is £32 return for Glasgow from here)
Thanks for the advice if I end up going Swansea mega bus is the way to go, it was so cheap, and surprisingly comfy, kind of a hit or miss with the toilets though xD, and tried national express for Lough borough to see the difference, it was alright but overpriced for you getting the same exact experience with mega bus/ mega train.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed