Is it normal for car engine temperature to go up and down? Watch

PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chosenone93)
I'm aware that in winter cars take longer to reach operating temperature but i've noticed that when it does get there it doesn't stabilise.
Through out journeys the temp gauge will go up and down which seems odd as i'd of thought it would only increase and stablize at the normal operating temp as the mileage of the journey accumulates.
It can happen on a very cold day when do engine-braking, especially if you were going downhill like that, shortly after it reached its operating temperature.

But if it happens all the time, then most likely it's faulty engine coolant thermostat. Thermostat usually last up to 5 years, buy a new one for 10-20 pounds and have it replaced.

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Got enough coolant? Is your car still blowing hot air when it's warmed up?

Sounds like a bad sensor to me, but could be something way different. Take it to a garage; the gauge definitely should not fluctuate.
Sensors rarely fail, while thermostats simply have limited lifespan and people often forget they should be replaced sometimes.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
get it to it's normal operating temperature which it did eventually after an hour and a half
This makes me almost certain it's a worn-out coolant thermostate. Have this one replaced first, buy some of a good brand, like Waxtat, Stathler or Bearmach. This should solve the problem, and it's worth trying especially since thermostats are cheaper than sensors.
chosenone93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
This makes me almost certain it's a worn-out coolant thermostate. Have this one replaced first, buy some of a good brand, like Waxtat, Stathler or Bearmach. This should solve the problem, and it's worth trying especially since thermostats are cheaper than sensors.
I have no knowledge of cars, would the best thing be to buy one and ask a garge to replace it?
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have no knowledge of cars, would the best thing be to buy one and ask a garge to replace it?
No - the best thing to do would be take your car in for diagnosis!
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to buy the right spare thermostat, according to it's identification number.
If you're not going to replace it yourself, there is no point in buying one on your own. Just as a garage to buy a good one, like one of the brands I mentioned, or original General Motor's one.

(Original post by IWMTom)
No - the best thing to do would be take your car in for diagnosis!
So they will check the temperature, if they have computer interface, they can get readout from ECU. If temperature doesn't rise on the ECU readout either, that will mean it's the thermostat. But there is simplier way to check that: does the heater start to provide hot air within 10-15 minutes or not? If not, it's the coolant thermostat. Cooling system failures are not space science.
If the thermostat has never been replaced and the car is 5+ years old, the part is surely worn out anyway.
JackyMcaff
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If yer car ever overheats get yer scotch pie oot and cook it up on the rocker cover of the engine.......

regards, Jacky Name:  download.png
Views: 4
Size:  8.1 KB
chosenone93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
So nothing found to be wrong after diagnosis and it seems to be stabilising at operating temperature now the outside temp has improved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads