please help - concerning grades and revision!

Watch
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hello! i'm currently in year 11, a few months away from doing my gcses and i'm high key panicking. my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me to do really well and so i'd like to obtain as many grade 9s as possible. currently, i'm at a grade 7 in maths, eng lang, biology; 8 in physics; 6 in spanish; 9 in re; 5 is eng lit, history and chemistry as well as an A in IT.

do you think it is possible for me to get grade 9s even if i don't start revising now? i dont mind getting 7s/8s in chem/history/literature but i'd love to achieve the best grades possible. if so, do you have any tips for revision? also, i haven't written notes either - will that be a problem?

thank you.
Last edited by annlaju; 2 years ago
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want the best outcomes, start revising earlier. That doesn't mean you have to start revising for all your subjects beginning today, but gradually build up your revision, starting with subjects that you find more difficult (especially ones where you have to remember quotes and dates like English and History) and adding on subjects that you might only need a few weeks of revision for. By the time its closer to the exams, say April, you'll have built up your stamina and be consistent with your revision.
If you don't have a quiet place to revise, listen to some music with headphones in (you don't even have to have it so loud that you can't hear anything around you, but just loud enough so you won't pay attention to anything else). Apparently there's some research that shows listening to unfamiliar music is better for studying as opposed to songs you know the lyrics to (idk the source), so try that too.
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by yngze)If you want the best outcomes, start revising earlier. That doesn't mean you have to start revising for all your subjects beginning today, but gradually build up your revision, starting with subjects that you find more difficult (especially ones where you have to remember quotes and dates like English and History) and adding on subjects that you might only need a few weeks of revision for. By the time its closer to the exams, say April, you'll have built up your stamina and be consistent with your revision.
If you don't have a quiet place to revise, listen to some music with headphones in (you don't even have to have it so loud that you can't hear anything around you, but just loud enough so you won't pay attention to anything else). Apparently there's some research that shows listening to unfamiliar music is better for studying as opposed to songs you know the lyrics to (idk the source), so try that too.

-
how would you recommend revising history and english literature? thank you for your reply too!
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest I kinda just left English Lit and called it a lost cause.
Everyone has different revision methods, but for history I just used textbooks, classwork and the specification to write up notes for each topic in a word document. Once you have something like that with all the information you need to refer to, you could condense your notes into a timeline with minimal writing. Once you've learnt the information thoroughly, having something like that in your head will be enough to help you recall detailed information in the exam. Also, apart from crucial years and dates (like the start of WW1), you can get away with vague guesses of dates in the exam as long as they're close enough and chronologically sound, so if you've written them down by can't remember them in the exam its no biggie.
kittykat7333
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely start revising as soon as possible to achieve your best grades. Starting it sooner will prevent you from having to cram revision in before your exams too, not something I'd recommend (speaking from experience here!)
The best way I revised for my GCSEs was with past papers, especially for subjects like Eng Lit or more essay based exams. I found that flashcards were best for science like subjects or subjects where you need to remember specific facts or equations - if you make a bunch of flashcards now then you can revise little and often with them. For languages, French and Latin in my case, I wrote down key words I needed to know that o struggled to learn onto post it notes and stuck them around my room and my house in places I'd definitely see them like on my door or above my light switch. Flashcards are also great for languages - you can colour code everything too so a different colour for verbs, adjectives, masc words, fem words etc.
If you like having background noise when you study I'd suggest listening to rainymood.com or youtube videos of rain/thunderstorm sounds, it really helped me and I still listen to it whenever I revise. Lo-fi or soft cafe jazz videos are good for filling the silence too.
I hope your revision goes well, good luck with your GCSEs <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (41)
22.28%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (91)
49.46%
I'm unsure (52)
28.26%

Watched Threads