This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Statement from the Foreign Secretary: Gibraltar
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office condemns the Kingdom of Spain for their attempt to Gibraltar, one of our overseas territories, as a "colony" internationally.

The city of Gibraltar is clearly not a colony - it is an overseas territory voluntarily voted to be a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and is currently governed by people from Gibraltar, elected by people in Gibraltar. The Kingdom's attempt to declare Gibraltar a non-self-governing territory at the United Nations is akin to writing fiction.

The Foreign Office would likewise note that the Kingdom itself has possessions still in Africa: the islands of Ceuta, Melilla, as well as the Canary Islands, on top of the Plazas de Soberanía on the African mainland. These territories have continued to create territorial disputes between the Kingdoms of Spain and Morroco. It is certainly hypocritical for the Kingdom to be holding possessions on the mainland of another continent whilst accusing our United Kingdom, who has given our overseas territories not only autonomy, but the right to a referendum to separate from us, of colonialism.

The United Kingdom does not recognize the Kingdom's claim to our city Gibraltar, whose inhabitants proudly proclaim our sovereign as their queen. We consider the Kingdom's claim to our territory as legitimate as their crown's continued claim to be -

the King of: the Two Sicilies, Jerusalem, Cyprus, Majorca, Sardinia, Corsica, Algarve, The Phillippines, Guam, Taiwan, The Soloman Islands, Nauru, Palau, The Marshall Islands, The Federated States of Micronesia, The Northern Mariana Islands, parts of Papua New Guinea, Bay Islands, Jamaica, The Cayman Islands, The Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Haiti, Mexico, Florida, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, parts of the rest of the United States of America, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Bolivia; the Archduke of: Austria; the Duke of: Neopatras, Athens, Luxemburg, Milan, The Netherlands, Belgium, parts of Germany, Burgundy, parts of the rest of France; in addition to a handful of others territories of other sovereign nations that might or might not have ever been Spanish in history.

As the Kingdom's claim over Gibraltar is only one of its countless claims on soverign territories hold by their neighbours and countries beyond Europe, we urge the international community to not encourage such fantasy, for fear of the Kingdom also one day reasserting its claim over parts or the whole of your nation as well.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Neo-imperialist chest thumping nonsense - focus on the actual issues of global foreign policy like Iranian aggression in the Middle East and removing the commie crackpot in Venezuela rather than getting triggered over a choice of words.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

A Gibraltan passport from the 80's.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DayneD89)

we are not in the 80s
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

170px-Hong_Kong_British_Passport.jpg

An old Hong Kong passport.

Are you suggesting because it says British on this old Hong Kong passport - like how it had the word "colony" in the 80s for Gibraltar - that Hong Kong is still British?

Because that seems to be the entirety of your point.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a pointless statement. This issue seem trivial to me given what's going around the world.
Lord Vitiate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The point is, is that Gibraltar is no longer a colony. It has chosen to remain a British Overseas Territory. It is governed by Gibraltar, for Gibraltar. This is a poor attempt.

At any rate, I do not see the issue raised in this Statement as particularly pressing, especially considering there are bigger issues to be addressed like Russia.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Neo-imperialist chest thumping nonsense - focus on the actual issues of global foreign policy like Iranian aggression in the Middle East and removing the commie crackpot in Venezuela rather than getting triggered over a choice of words.
The fact that we have issued statements on both Venezuela and on this literally means we have been doing both.

If you are not "triggered" by another country literally trying to claim our territory, then I don't think you care about our territorial integrity at all.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
What a pointless statement. This issue seem trivial to me given what's going around the world.
A foreign country attempting to take our territory is a trivial issue?

I disagree.

And like someone else above, you are somehow suggesting that we can only deal with one issue at a time, when we can in fact deal with many at the same time.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by keepholtingon)
The point is, is that Gibraltar is no longer a colony. It has chosen to remain a British Overseas Territory. It is governed by Gibraltar, for Gibraltar. This is a poor attempt.

At any rate, I do not see the issue raised in this Statement as particularly pressing, especially considering there are bigger issues to be addressed like Russia.
Whilst The Kingdom of Spain's illegitimate claim over our territory is not new, and we do not expect a military invasion from the Kingdom in the near future to enforce their claim, issuing a statement over one particular issue does not stop the Office from working on other issues.
Lord Vitiate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
Whilst The Kingdom of Spain's illegitimate claim over our territory is not new, and we do not expect a military invasion from the Kingdom in the near future to enforce their claim, issuing a statement over one particular issue does not stop the Office from working on other issues.
And your point is? Why is the Foreign Office issuing statements on the least pressing issues when there are more concerning things on the agenda? A shameful cover-up of the short-sighted, imperialist agenda of this Conservative government.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
170px-Hong_Kong_British_Passport.jpg

An old Hong Kong passport.

Are you suggesting because it says British on this old Hong Kong passport - like how it had the word "colony" in the 80s for Gibraltar - that Hong Kong is still British?

Because that seems to be the entirety of your point.
My point was more that this is amusing tbh. Still, what has changed to make it a colony then, but not one now? It had its own Parliament, even if it went by a different name, and then as now it is a geographical area far separated from our homeland.

Why was it a colony in the 80's, and when did this change? It was governed by its own parliament since the late 60's.

Note: As a slight aside here, I'm being pedantic, I'm not claiming that Gibraltar is a colony, or that Spain has any legal or moral right over a population that at the last opportunity voted 98% to stay British. My point, if I have one, is only that we're getting worked up over nothing.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And your point is? Why is the Foreign Office issuing statements on the least pressing issues when there are more concerning things on the agenda? A shameful cover-up of the short-sighted, imperialist agenda of this Conservative government.
This issue is very straightforward and simple.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is not a news channel. We do not broadcast on every single thing that's happening in the world and we also cannot advertise everything we have been doing behind the scenes.

Imperialist? Randomly attacking Russia could be considered that, defending our own existing territory is not.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hear hear! The Spanish should stop moaning, we have had Gibraltar since 1713, get over it!

Of course it's not a colony, it's enshrined as a BOT, so for any other country to call it a "colony" is pathetic.
Last edited by SoggyCabbages; 1 month ago
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
How is it "chest thumping nonsense" when the motion is objectively correct? Gibraltar is not a colony.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
How is it "chest thumping nonsense" when the motion is objectively correct? Gibraltar is not a colony.
Getting upset over minor technicalities in language isn’t worthy of parliamentary time, in that sense it is chest thumping.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hear hear.

It’s also sad to see the leader of one party in this parliament turn its back on British people.

We must recognise the right of Gibraltarians have to self-determination and protect that like we do all citizens rights.

We should also recognise Spain’s occupation of Catalonia and recognise that it is also a colony of Spain and support their rights to self determination.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Hear hear.

It’s also sad to see the leader of one party in this parliament turn its back on British people.

We must recognise the right of Gibraltarians have to self-determination and protect that like we do all citizens rights.

We should also recognise Spain’s occupation of Catalonia and recognise that it is also a colony of Spain and support their rights to self determination.
It's wrong for Spain to call Gibraltar a colony, but acceptable for us to call Catalonia a colony? Gibraltar is much closer to a colony than Catalonia. Each have a right to self-determination if they want it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we betray the people of Gibraltar by giving them to Spain, just that getting worked up over the word used is silly. Especially when we've used that word to refer to Gibraltar.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In foreign affairs, wording is key and this is frankly a disgraceful and disrespectful way to handle the issue. Shotgun diplomacy does not work and I am starting to have very little confidence in the Foreign Secretary to fulfill his duties.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
their attempt to Gibraltar
I support this statement, Spain should not be allowed to Gibraltar. The practice of Gibraltaring is unacceptable and the UK is right to condemn it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads