How much general nursing taught in mental health nursing courde

Watch
Barry Moir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I’m curious as to how much general nursing is taught in mental health nursing course compared to say adult nursing I.e giving medication, injections, one, setting up drips etc. I understand the mental health side of nursing itself but curious to the amount of the physical help is taught too I’d thst makes sense.
sammydasher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Barry Moir)
Hi. I’m curious as to how much general nursing is taught in mental health nursing course compared to say adult nursing I.e giving medication, injections, one, setting up drips etc. I understand the mental health side of nursing itself but curious to the amount of the physical help is taught too I’d thst makes sense.
Hi!

I'm a second year at Abertay.

General nursing wise in first two years two of your placements will be in general settings rather than mental health, I found this incredibly useful.

Theres modules in physiology and anatomy and general diagnosis such as diabetes etc. Clinical skills wise so far I've done injection techniques, wound care and aseptic techniques, catheterization, medications and drug calculations.

In comparison to other mh nursing courses I think our syllabus includes an increased focus on physical health needs.

Ive probably missed something, however hope that helps answer your question a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Barry Moir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Than you for that. Very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (97)
27.71%
No (253)
72.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed