The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking my desktop. I might buy an EEEPC if I fancy typing in the library or something.
I'm taking a laptop. Won't have room for desktop! Luckily, I have a laptop so there's no need to buy one. Wouldn't it take up a fair bit of room in your room? I'm not taking a laptop to lessons, but to copy up notes (revision etc) and for essays etc.
A laptop isn't necessary.
Reply 4
I'm gonna be taking a laptop, I think it would be more useful to have a portable PC, even if I will probably doing most work on paper.
Reply 5
Laptops are by no means necessary, unless you plan to be carrying your computer around a lot. I rarely move mine. And if you're worried about your money situation, it's often a lot cheaper to get an equivalent desktop than a laptop.

Shouldn't use up that much of your deskroom either.
I've got both, although I only rarely use the laptop. It is handy for assignments in the library though!!
Reply 7
I have a laptop cos I don't think I could fit a desktop on the desk. One of my flatmates has one and he had trouble fitting a TV, desktop and printer onto the desk. But then he doesn't do any work so he doesn't need that extra space.
Lol depends, I have a 32" lcd widecreen tv, with a vertical PS3 and a 22" TFT monitor on my desk, and this is the 3rd uni hall I have been in this year all with different furniture yet all fitted.

It depends, a laptops great for summer days or when going to library when theres no pcs(As theres normally spare network points that arent blocked from downloading too lol)

A desktop is great for movies and games but if you dont plan to watch many things downloaded a laptop is easier.

And a laptops great for chatting to people in common room, or going outside in summer or the union bar(as some do)
I use a desktop with a 22 same as ^^

I'm going to buy a laptop for my second year so that i can take it home and use it on journeys... Generally most people at uni have laptops, but so far through first year I've had no problems with using a desktop :smile:
I find that I am extremly dependant on my computer, always needing to use software, or download past exam papers, search the internet etc, but my university has lots of computers, so when at home I use my desktop, on campus I use the university computers, if I need to transfer files back and forth, I use email, I also have a memory stick just in case. I have never seen the point of spending so much money on a laptop just for using on campus, when there are computers there! Some people find it nicer to have the comfort of their own computer on campus, but I find that for that very reason, I am much less likely to stray away from my work when working on university computers, as aposed to my home computer, and for me that is a good thing!
*titanium*
I find that I am extremly dependant on my computer, always needing to use software, or download past exam papers, search the internet etc, but my university has lots of computers, so when at home I use my desktop, on campus I use the university computers, if I need to transfer files back and forth, I use email, I also have a memory stick just in case. I have never seen the point of spending so much money on a laptop just for using on campus, when there are computers there! Some people find it nicer to have the comfort of their own computer on campus, but I find that for that very reason, I am much less likely to stray away from my work when working on university computers, as aposed to my home computer, and for me that is a good thing!

Im a bit confused, do you mean "home " home as in parents and campus as in halls/private

If the latter its more that having a PC helps you study when at uni i.e it means you arent limited to like 9am-8pm during week and less at weekends if at all to research, or write an essay etc especially if you have classes and even a cheap £50 laptop or desktop does that job fine
Reply 12
I have a desktop, however bought a laptop as the library's pcs are always taken. This makes it sooo much easier.
I bought a laptop especially because I like to revise using my laptop in random places.
Reply 14
I had a desktop through uni and am still using it now :p:

I guess if it were to break and I had to buy a new one, I'd go for the laptop for a number of reasons. You can get pretty poweful laptops now and quite cheaply too so the desktop is kind of becoming unnecessary except for serious gamers :teeth:
I use a desktop computer, which is handy in some ways, because I don't have to squint at a small screen the whole time, etc.

On the other hand, it means I can't type out my notes whilst sitting by the lake or in someone else's room, which kinda sucks :frown: I'm hoping to maybe get a laptop next year, just because it's a pain not being able to carry my revision notes around with me :s-smilie:
SuperDaz
I had a desktop through uni and am still using it now :p:

I guess if it were to break and I had to buy a new one, I'd go for the laptop for a number of reasons. You can get pretty poweful laptops now and quite cheaply too so the desktop is kind of becoming unnecessary except for serious gamers :teeth:

Not really, though I have a powerful PC I also use it for upgrading cheaply as I can add tv cards to it better than a low quality USB freeview adaptor, I can connect 2 monitors, great for watching a downloaded movie on a big tv etc.

Also means I dont have to connect a dear external drive or nake my own and mains power it everytime I have to use it.

If you dont want a laptop for gaming then a really old laptop costing like £100 that plays DVD's and has wordpad on is sufficent.
Reply 17
I have a laptop at uni, which I think is the best option. It is easy to take home if you visit for holidays, you can take it to the library/friend's room/lectures etc if necessary or use wireless access points to connect to the internet in various uni buildings. It is also very convenient if you have an assignment to do and you need help, so you can take it to show lecturers or to support tutorials and quickly edit/print to hand in.

In my room, I have my laptop on a stand connected to a keyboard and mouse so it is more comfortable.

My laptop (MacBook Pro) has enough power for everyday tasks like web browsing, MS office, iTunes and heavier work I do such as designs for the uni magazine articles and video encoding. I also have external hard drives for backup and extra storage. I am hoping to buy an external 24" TFT to connect to it which would be better for design/photo editing and also for movies.
Reply 18
a laptop isn't neccessary but is very useful. if your desktopped up dont bother replacing it with a laptop
EarlHickey
Im a bit confused, do you mean "home " home as in parents and campus as in halls/private

If the latter its more that having a PC helps you study when at uni i.e it means you arent limited to like 9am-8pm during week and less at weekends if at all to research, or write an essay etc especially if you have classes and even a cheap £50 laptop or desktop does that job fine

I mean in the house I am renting near university. Anyway, my univesity has computer rooms open 8:30am-12:00am 7 days a week :biggrin: not that I have ever stayed latter than about 9pm.

Latest

Trending

Trending