The Student Room Group

Looking for full-time positions whilst taking temp job - advice?

Good Sunday morning y'all. I wonder, does anybody have experience looking for a full-time job whilst undertaking a temp job?

If so, what did you do? How was it? Did you survive the delicate balancing act between work and applications? How did you arrange interviews? Etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Bump
Original post by DuckDodgers

What balancing act? It's what everyone who ever changes job has to do, it's not a delicate balancing act at all.

Everyone has 24 hours in a day, and on average most people work 8, sleep 8 and have 8 left. If you devote one of those hours a day to searching for and writing job applications you should still be able to make at least 2 strong job applications a week with tailored aCV and covering letter and some decent company research.
Original post by threeportdrift
What balancing act? It's what everyone who ever changes job has to do, it's not a delicate balancing act at all.

Everyone has 24 hours in a day, and on average most people work 8, sleep 8 and have 8 left. If you devote one of those hours a day to searching for and writing job applications you should still be able to make at least 2 strong job applications a week with tailored aCV and covering letter and some decent company research.

I was referring to balancing the need to attend a potential interview for a permanent job with working in my current temp job. I obviously don't want to burn any bridges but the reality of working in a temp position means it becomes a somewhat delicate situation.

I'm fine using my two free days at the weekend to apply - it's not like I have much else going on at the moment (*laughs awkwardly*)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
I was referring to balancing the need to attend a potential interview for a permanent job with working in my current temp job. I obviously don't want to burn any bridges but the reality of working in a temp position means it becomes a somewhat delicate situation.

I'm fine using my two free days at the weekend to apply - it's not like I have much else going on at the moment (*laughs awkwardly*)

That's what leave is for. Or pull a sickie. or have a domestic emergency. Or as it's a temp job, be up front and say you've got an interview when you book leave, so you don't have to go through the 'pull a sickie' charade.
Thanks @threeportdrift, I really appreciate the advice.

It's a good job but I want to keep an eye on the future.
Original post by threeportdrift
That's what leave is for. Or pull a sickie. or have a domestic emergency. Or as it's a temp job, be up front and say you've got an interview when you book leave, so you don't have to go through the 'pull a sickie' charade.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending