The Student Room Group

Gcse Revision

I completed my mocks in January 2019 - last month and I got a 3 in R.S, Spanish, English language and English literature. In my Maths and sciences I got a 4 but in my Drama I got a 6. I would like to achieve the grades 7-9 in my GCSES and I only have 98 days left. Every weekday I would like to revise 2 and a half hours but on my weekdays I would like to revise 5 hours, Saturday and Sunday. Do you think I can accomplish that ? I am also attending workshops after school and during breaks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am in the same position as you. I am also in year 11 and I've done my mocks which went awful due to the fact I literally did not revise.
I achieved good grades in English and r.s and Spanish without revision as I find them quite easy.
I absolutely hate maths even though i need to achieve a grade 6 by the end of GCSEs which i don't know how the hell I am going to do that! I really need tips and advice for maths if anyone has any.
However, do not doubt yourself! 98 days sounds scary but if you use your days properly then there will be nothing to worry about.
Start off by making yourself a harsh timetable with things you must do in a day.
For English easily improve your grades by using GCSE Pod it saves my grades all the time plus its free!
You don't need to read your books fully for English lit but just make sure you know the key quotes and characters and the plot of the story. (Don't be clueless about them)
Reply 2
I have also made a timetable for the start of February in order to really stop messing around and start revising. Many people including teacher keep telling me it's too late and how I should have started in September which is true, but if you actually start effectively revising now you could do it! So stop doubting yourself and feeling regret (because that's me 24/7) and feel better about yourself because some people (in my skl at least) are planning to revise 1 month before gcses! If you start revising from now, your April easter holiday should be a breeze of familiarising yourself with the revision you've already done.
Let me know if u have any questions. We can do this!
Original post by fh2712
I am in the same position as you. I am also in year 11 and I've done my mocks which went awful due to the fact I literally did not revise.
I achieved good grades in English and r.s and Spanish without revision as I find them quite easy.
I absolutely hate maths even though i need to achieve a grade 6 by the end of GCSEs which i don't know how the hell I am going to do that! I really need tips and advice for maths if anyone has any.
However, do not doubt yourself! 98 days sounds scary but if you use your days properly then there will be nothing to worry about.
Start off by making yourself a harsh timetable with things you must do in a day.
For English easily improve your grades by using GCSE Pod it saves my grades all the time plus its free!
You don't need to read your books fully for English lit but just make sure you know the key quotes and characters and the plot of the story. (Don't be clueless about them)

literally yh, my novel for eng lit was pride and prejudice, i read up to ch23 out of around 57 and i still managed to get a 9. BUT i did still make notes from watching videos online. Also i did hella revision for the other components of lit (poetry & shakespeare) I thought i wasn’t gonna get any 9s after i had sat my gcse’s but i managed to get 5 so don’t give up hope. I switched out my touchscreen phone to a brick phone (ik it’s extra but it definitely helped) to combat any possible distractions so maybe you should try that. Good luck with your studies🤞🏽☺️
Reply 4
Original post by affiariaz
I completed my mocks in January 2019 - last month and I got a 3 in R.S, Spanish, English language and English literature. In my Maths and sciences I got a 4 but in my Drama I got a 6. I would like to achieve the grades 7-9 in my GCSES and I only have 98 days left. Every weekday I would like to revise 2 and a half hours but on my weekdays I would like to revise 5 hours, Saturday and Sunday. Do you think I can accomplish that ? I am also attending workshops after school and during breaks

Hi, I'm also doing GCSEs this year I revised for my mocks and got good grades but there is room for improvement. Your revision is not late start now and make a difference and trust me your grades will go so high asap. On weekdays I revise 3-4 hrs a day but on weekends I do 4-6 hrs but i do take breaks. At least your skwl has workshops my skwl aren't even bothered the teachers don't attend after skwl sessions so i do my own studying at home. Good Luck and if your unsure about how to revise specific topics just give me a shout hon! Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jemmadelaney
literally yh, my novel for eng lit was pride and prejudice, i read up to ch23 out of around 57 and i still managed to get a 9. BUT i did still make notes from watching videos online. Also i did hella revision for the other components of lit (poetry & shakespeare) I thought i wasn’t gonna get any 9s after i had sat my gcse’s but i managed to get 5 so don’t give up hope. I switched out my touchscreen phone to a brick phone (ik it’s extra but it definitely helped) to combat any possible distractions so maybe you should try that. Good luck with your studies🤞🏽☺️

Hi, I just find English Lit so hard i keep getting 5's eventhough i watch youtube vids Mr bruff! I'm trying to improve structuring my answer and learning as many quotes as possible! Oh so you changed your phone i don't keep my phone with me at all when i'm studying i switch it off! How did you improve you english lit grade? Any tips?
Original post by halsx11
Hi, I just find English Lit so hard i keep getting 5's eventhough i watch youtube vids Mr bruff! I'm trying to improve structuring my answer and learning as many quotes as possible! Oh so you changed your phone i don't keep my phone with me at all when i'm studying i switch it off! How did you improve you english lit grade? Any tips?

honestly don’t worry about the grade you’re currently attaining now because at my school my teacher was giving people fives and they ended up achieving a nine at GCSE so there’s always hope. I used to watch Mr bruff all the time as well but one thing that’s really good for poetry is genius annotations. Now they give you the basis for annotations and it can help if you already have your own notes to combine them with. Forget about trying to memorise as many quotes as possible for example for Shakespeare (I did Macbeth) I did my notes for each character once you do enough revision you just remember the quotes naturally so make sure you’re doing practice essay questions and on YouTube there is this amazing teacher who went so in-depth she is the reason I got a nine. I also did an Inspector calls and she had notes for each character as well and honestly she was just great and she had lots of level nine annotations which enabled me to get a nine so I highly recommend you check her channel out and see if she’s made any videos on anything that you’re studying if not definitely just keep browsing around YouTube and see if there are any other teachers. Trust me you’ll definitely find one and you might have to go through a few mediocre teachers on YouTube but just keep persevering and you’ll definitely find one that’s great for you. So I’ve basically watched videos and made my notes because my teacher at school was good but if I sat the test using only her teachings I probably would’ve got like a 6 because she just wasn’t that good.
The woman’s youtube channel i was talking about : https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJhuqpyhE8NzYZFkwTzi_7g

ALSO it helps to type in the level you’re trying to attain the topic (e.g I typed in “Level 9 annotations for An Inspector Calls/Macbeth/Pride and Prejudice)

TL;DR :
Mr Bruff and Genius annotations are good for poetry
Stacey Reay (Teacher on youtube) is amazing and does nearly everything so check her out
Videos on youtube are great, don’t just rely on your teacher
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by halsx11

Not to sound ignorant or rude. English is simple. In English literature you just have to make sure you're answers are perceptive and not what people would normally say. For example, in the quote Macbeth is "too full of milk human kindness". Most people will say it's a metaphor and it shows that macbeth is weak as milk is associated with feminity.

But, there are many things to analyse here. e.g. the word "too" is a superlative and it may show Lady Macbeth's state of mind and how forcefully and desperately she wants her husband to commit regicide. Shakespeare heightens this through the use of the monosyllabic syllables "too full of milk" which may show how she is rushing her speech and she's not thinking properly. Not only this the use of the female imagery "milk" may show how weak Lady Macbeth is as the word milk is associated with babies and how they need it to grow and it may show how Lady Macbeth hasn't developed her courage yet no wonder she is forcing Macbeth.

Hope this helps btw :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rockyball89
Not to sound ignorant or rude. English is simple. In English literature you just have to make sure you're answers are perceptive and not what people would normally say. For example, in the quote Macbeth is "too full of milk human kindness". Most people will say it's a metaphor and it shows that macbeth is weak as milk is associated with feminity.

But, there are many things to analyse here. e.g. the word "too" is a superlative and it may show Lady Macbeth's state of mind and how forcefully and desperately she wants her husband to commit regicide. Shakespeare heightens this through the use of the monosyllabic syllables "too full of milk" which may show how she is rushing her speech and she's not thinking properly. Not only this the use of the female imagery "milk" may show how weak Lady Macbeth is as the word milk is associated with babies and how they need it to grow and it may show how Lady Macbeth hasn't developed her courage yet no wonder she is forcing Macbeth.

That's exactly what i do in exam questions but idk why i keep getting 5's! It did help thanks i think it's my interpretations that i need to add more of idk! Or it might be my context but i add there where possible. Have you already done your GCSE English lit?
Original post by halsx11
That's exactly what i do in exam questions but idk why i keep getting 5's! It did help thanks i think it's my interpretations that i need to add more of idk! Or it might be my context but i add there where possible. Have you already done your GCSE English lit?

No, I've not done it yet. However, I did achieve two 8's in English in my mocks. To get the top bands in english it's all about originality. You said that you do this yet you still get a 5. I will give you a quote to analysis to see what you'll write about it.

Analyse this quote "When you durst do it you are a man"

But, there are many things to analyse here. e.g. the word "too" is a superlative and it may show Lady Macbeth's state of mind and how forcefully and desperately she wants her husband to commit suicide. Shakespeare heightens this through the use of the monosyllabic syllables "too full of milk" which may show how she is rushing her speech and she's not thinking properly. Not only this the use of the female imagery "milk" may show how weak Lady Macbeth is as the word milk is associated with babies and how they need it to grow and it may show how Lady Macbeth hasn't developed her courage yet no wonder she is forcing Macbeth.

Alternatively, when she says “Too full of the milk of human kindness” it actually portrays her to believe that she is no longer human, but rather above humans. The word “milk” is often associated with baby imagery as babies to depend on it and it is imperative to grow - so her using it in this sense shows that she believes humans crave and depend on kindness. Since LM is saying that M is “too full” of the milk, she’s implying that she lacks the milk of kindness. This clearly conveys her belief that she is superior to humans as, through her devilish thoughts to kill the king, she’s proving that she lacks the kindness that others crave and depend on. Her want to kill the king is hugely shocking to a Jacobean audience as they devoutly believe the King was divinely appointed by God himself so LMs thirst for royalty would have been viewed as such a treacherous and disgusting act. LMs view -that she is stronger and above humans - could also be linked to the supernatural theme that is constantly referred to throughout the whole play.
You could easily link what i’ve just written to the act where LM says “unsex me here” (can’t remember which act this is) because that passage is littered with Imperative verbs (basically she’s bossing the supernatural beings around) connoting that she believes she is stronger and more powerful than them.
ALWAYS remember to talk about the effects on an audience of that time somewhere within your essay because you get marks for you applicable knowledge of context.
Ahh, just because, i feel like it I will give you another analysis lol :smile:
"when you durst do it you're a man"

Here lady macbeth uses the plosive "durst" which would be strange to the jacobean audience at this time because plosives are used to create
harsh and hard sounds and It makes Lady Macbeth have a dogmatic tone as she seems to be the male in their relationship forcing Macbeth to do the deed
Moreover, the use of the direct address "you" and "you're" emphasises this as she's making Macbeth feel guilty and weak
as it sounds as if she's almost targetting him and trying to draw him out for why his not King.
The fact that Lady Macbeth maitnains the monosyllabic syllables throughout her dialogue throughout show how relaxed she is and how she is not worrying again solidifying her control in the relationship
(edited 5 years ago)

Here lady macbeth uses the plosive "durst" which would be strange to the jacobean audience at this time because plosives are used to create
harsh and hard sounds and It makes Lady Macbeth have a dogmatic tone as she seems to be the male in their relationship forcing Macbeth to do the deed
Moreover, the use of the direct address "you" and "you're" emphasises this as she's making Macbeth feel guilty and weak
as it sounds as if she's almost targetting him and trying to draw him out for why his not King.
The fact that Lady Macbeth maitnains the monosyllabic syllables throughout her dialogue throughout show how relaxed she is and how she is not worrying again solidifying her control in the relationship

I will answer it i went to do some grocery shopping and i just got home now you didnt have to snwer it for me i am still going to do the analysis
Original post by halsx11
I will answer it i went to do some grocery shopping and i just got home now you didnt have to snwer it for me i am still going to do the analysis

To get that level 9 don’t forget your context. You could easily expand when you said “She seems to be the male in the relationship” Talk about context and how LM defies status quo as women were seen as caring and submissive to their male counterpart but she doesn’t comply to society’s expectations etc.

You could also contrast how in control LM is in this quote to i think it was act 5 when she starts sleep talking. Mention the sharp contrast and how she eventually confirms to societal standards of women being weaker than men as she can’t control how guilty she feels after the murder of King Duncan

To get that level 9 don’t forget your context. You could easily expand when you said “She seems to be the male in the relationship” Talk about context and how LM defies status quo as women were seen as caring and submissive to their male counterpart but she doesn’t comply to society’s expectations etc.

You could also contrast how in control LM is in this quote to i think it was act 5 when she starts sleep talking. Mention the sharp contrast and how she eventually confirms to societal standards of women being weaker than men as she can’t control how guilty she feels after the murder of King Duncan

That's good what grade did you get for GCSE english Lit? I need to improve so any tips?
Original post by halsx11
That's good what grade did you get for GCSE english Lit? I need to improve so any tips?

I got a 9 and if you scroll up to the beginning of the posts on this thread a wrote a wholeeee paragraph on how to improve
Hii there's a hundred days till english lit gcse's ,, i know you shouldn't make predictions and revise everything (because anything could come up) but does anyone have any idea's about what could come up x
Original post by malik123456
Hii there's a hundred days till english lit gcse's ,, i know you shouldn't make predictions and revise everything (because anything could come up) but does anyone have any idea's about what could come up x

I'm literally revising key quotations, characters, themes and context and knowing how to structure the answer and i'm doing lots of practice questions. I think predictions is good cuz you can just plan random answers and you never know it might appear in the exam.
I got a 9 and if you scroll up to the beginning of the posts on this thread a wrote a wholeeee paragraph on how to improve

Oh okay i think i've already seen it but still need more ways as i've done all of these and still got a 5 in my mocks. I'm going to practice more questions and ask my teacher to mark it to see if I've improved
Original post by malik123456

well usually (DO NOT RELY ON THIS) they do the opposite of what was done last year. For example :

For the 1st year of the new GCSE, for poetry (Love and Relationships) the 1st year had a poem on family love (Mother, Any Distance) and the 2nd year (my year) had a poem on romantic love (Singh Song) So i’m predicting that this year they’re gonna do a family poem.

Quick Reply

Latest