Help with course choices (for sixth year) Watch

Katemargaretxxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I need to choose my subjects for sixth year and I’m currently studying higher maths, English, human biology, geography and modern studies (predicted 5 As) and am stuck for what to choose for 6th year. I want to study psychology and biology at university and definitely want to do advanced biology and geography (I’m best at these). I am stuck between also choosing advanced maths (as I want to apply to Durham which needs 3 adv highers however am not sure) or crashing higher chemistry (as this is helpful for uni) or choosing higher rmps as my mum teaches it (although my school does different units so she couldn’t help a lot ). Really don’t know what combination to choose need HELP!! (Thank u)
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Katemargaretxxx)
I need to choose my subjects for sixth year and I’m currently studying higher maths, English, human biology, geography and modern studies (predicted 5 As) and am stuck for what to choose for 6th year. I want to study psychology and biology at university and definitely want to do advanced biology and geography (I’m best at these). I am stuck between also choosing advanced maths (as I want to apply to Durham which needs 3 adv highers however am not sure) or crashing higher chemistry (as this is helpful for uni) or choosing higher rmps as my mum teaches it (although my school does different units so she couldn’t help a lot ). Really don’t know what combination to choose need HELP!! (Thank u)
If you are absolutely set on applying to Durham, and they need 3 AHs, then 3 advanced highers is what you'll need to do. Bare in mind though that you may then end up having a much higher workload than you need to, if you end up not getting an offer from there. If you're going to do 2 AHs, then doing it alongside either of chemistry or RMPS would be good options and would mean you'd have a bit more time to be doing things outside your studies.
Last edited by Labrador99; 1 week ago
goldilocks12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m currently doing 3 advanced Highers (French, Spanish and chemistry) and got an offer for modern languages at Durham yesterday. My offer is conditional on AAA so if you want to apply there you would need 3 AHs.
Both chemistry and maths would be very useful to you but maybe check entrance requirements for some courses before choosing because some might need one of these at AH. I would say maths is probably something you will use more in your degree (based on the experiences on friends) but the knowledge of chemistry may come in handy occasionally.
It really is up to you so I would check some entrance requirements before choosing or speak to a teacher/careers advisor about it. Best of luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Following on from what some of the above have said
I wouldn't choose RMPS just because your mum teaches it. If you are doing it, do it because you enjoy it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (80)
59.7%
No (54)
40.3%

Watched Threads