The Student Room Group

£50

Why are £50 notes so uncommon? If I walk into a bank and ask for a £50 note will they give it to me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelikiii
Why are £50 notes so uncommon? If I walk into a bank and ask for a £50 note will they give it to me?

Shops don't accept them because of the risk of fraud, and most people pay by card for large amounts anyway.

Yes, you could withdraw one from your bank account if you really wanted, though there's not much you can do with it apart from paying it back in.

Yes, banks will give you one. AFAIK, £50 notes are not common as they are easier to forge, so many businesses refuse to accept them. Many shops also won't accept them because they may not have the required change in the till if you use one to make small purchases.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jameswhughes
Shops don't accept them because of the risk of fraud, and most people pay by card for large amounts anyway.

Yes, you could withdraw one from your bank account if you really wanted, though there's not much you can do with it apart from paying it back in.

Shops do accept them
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Yes, banks will give you one. AFAIK, £50 notes are not common as they are easier to forge, so many businesses refuse to accept them.

Wow I never knew that
Original post by JPryor011
Shops do accept them

Some do, but a lot don't, especially small shops.

There's a cycle of poeple not knowing what they look like, so they aren't accepted as they could be fraudulent, and then limited use means they aren't recognizable.

These days I don't know why you would ever need or want a £50 note, you can use a card almost everywhere, and cheques/bank transfers to pay people.

The place I work accepts them, we just have to run a special pen over them to see if it's real or not
£50 notes are quite common when it comes to gambling, bespoke commissions and high net worth individuals.
I often have to collect or count wads of 50s for bank deposits.
Sometimes get paid with them when there are banking issues or dealing with cash orientated clients.
It tends to be small shops and high street coffee chains that won't accept them, usually because they don't have the change.
Reply 8
AFAIK, £50 notes are not common as they are easier to forge, so many businesses refuse to accept them.

I'd like to see some evidence that "£50 notes are easier to forge".

It's something of a chicken-and-egg problem. People are reluctant to accept £50 notes simply because they're not familiar with them. But they're not familiar with them because they're not widely used.

If someone gives you a fake £20 you're more likely to have other £20 notes you can compare it against; plus because £20s are in common use, you're more likely to be familiar with their design even if you don't have another note to compare it with.

This is very similar to why people in England and Wales are reluctant to accept Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes -- they are simply not familiar with the designs and hence are much less likely to be able to identify a forgery.
Original post by martin7
I'd like to see some evidence that "£50 notes are easier to forge".

It's something of a chicken-and-egg problem. People are reluctant to accept £50 notes simply because they're not familiar with them. But they're not familiar with them because they're not widely used.

If someone gives you a fake £20 you're more likely to have other £20 notes you can compare it against; plus because £20s are in common use, you're more likely to be familiar with their design even if you don't have another note to compare it with.

This is very similar to why people in England and Wales are reluctant to accept Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes -- they are simply not familiar with the designs and hence are much less likely to be able to identify a forgery.

They're easier to forge in the sense that people don't know what real ones look like, just as you suggest, therefore cashiers don't know if there is an obvious error in its appearance.
Reply 10
More common than £100 notes and not had a problem using one of those.
Never had an issue with £50 notes either tbh.
Original post by Quady
More common than £100 notes and not had a problem using one of those.
Never had an issue with £50 notes either tbh.

Are you in Scotland? I’ve never seen a £100 note in circulation, let alone tried to use one.
Reply 12
Are you in Scotland? I’ve never seen a £100 note in circulation, let alone tried to use one.

Yes.

If you have £50 in your account sure, if not they will be pressing the panic button and you'll be carted off to prison.
Yes, banks will give you one. AFAIK, £50 notes are not common as they are easier to forge, so many businesses refuse to accept them. Many shops also won't accept them because they may not have the required change in the till if you use one to make small purchases.

I agree.
Even with laces that do accept them, cashiers usually have to go around getting managers or whoever to check them before they are accepted, to check they arent fake.
Reply 15
They are a risk.
If you lose it, it's a large sum of money.
If a shop accepts it.. and it's a fake. That's a large sum of money lost.
They make money shuffle scams easier for scammer to pull off.
They have a notorious history of being involved in crime due to being the largest nomination of physical currency. (ignoring the RBS £100)
Reply 16
Original post by 8472
They have a notorious history of being involved in crime

Which notorious crimes?
Hahaha I am not going to debate it with you, however in response to your first line, I work part-time in a 'small shop' and we accept £50 notes!!

One does need not be a genius to decide whether its fake or not.

Some do, but a lot don't, especially small shops.

There's a cycle of poeple not knowing what they look like, so they aren't accepted as they could be fraudulent, and then limited use means they aren't recognizable.

These days I don't know why you would ever need or want a £50 note, you can use a card almost everywhere, and cheques/bank transfers to pay people.
yeah i once took out £1000 in fifties so you can

but its true that a lot of shops etc always ask you if you have a smaller bill. some of them even look at you funny which is weird, i mean if i'm paying for something small with a 50 then its understandable but when i'm paying a bill thats nearing 50 quid i have no idea why i get that look. i thought they'd be more impressed with me having one but no, instead they look at me as if they think i've robbed a bank
not sure if you can use them at a self-service till at the supermarket ?

:holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending