Fear of not knowing how to do something? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So for 4 or 5 years, I’ve barely been out of the house apart from going to school because of anxiety. I don’t know what type of anxiety it is (I think it is agoraphobia) but I will give you some scenarios. For example, for years I would avoid taking the bus at all costs because I didn’t know how to use it (i.e. what to say to the bus driver, where to put the money etc.) and I know it sounds really dumb but I literally didn’t take the bus until a few months ago. Probably my most embarrassing situation was when I was on a plane. I was holding in my pee for hours because i was scared to get up, walk to the toilet and open the door. After 2 hours, I finally decided to go up. As I walked down the aisle, my anxiety got worse and worse and by the time I had reached the door my mind was racing and I couldn’t think straight. I tried to open the door and then a guy next to me told me that it was locked and I felt so stupid. Again, I know it sounds really silly but it is debilitating. Also, I get anxious just thinking about going to the shops, using a cash machine, taking public transport etc. because I don’t know how to do any of these things. I’m going to a restaurant with my friends in a week and I’m contemplating about whether to go and I’m getting anxious just thinking about it. Does anybody know what this condition is?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I can relate to this sooo much. I too try to avoid being in situations I've never or rarely been in, as I am scared of making a fool of myself. From what you are describing it sounds a bit like generalized anxiety disorder, which is what I have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60%
No (144)
40%

Watched Threads