wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What’s the best way to revise for chemistry and biology alevel? Should I even bother making notes? I’m also doing maths but I just do practise questions. For biology and chemistry I normally just look at practise questions too and memorise most of the answers as questions on the tests I do are similar but I don’t know if that’ll help me learn for long term revision. Any tips? Also I really need help for chemistry. I do aqa is there any YouTube videos/websites you would recommend? Thank you.
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am doing the 3 sciences and double mathematics at A Level so I should be able to give some useful advice.

The ultimate guide to do well in STEM A Levels is:
1- Make good notes, write your own notes, compression them and make diagrams! I can't emphasise on how important they are!
2- Flashcards are a god-send
3- Practise past papers! The key is practise and knowing your definitions by heart!
4- Know keywords by looking at markshemes, they are essential if you are aiming for that A/A*.
Joanna_m123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wxgmak)
What’s the best way to revise for chemistry and biology alevel? Should I even bother making notes? I’m also doing maths but I just do practise questions. For biology and chemistry I normally just look at practise questions too and memorise most of the answers as questions on the tests I do are similar but I don’t know if that’ll help me learn for long term revision. Any tips? Also I really need help for chemistry. I do aqa is there any YouTube videos/websites you would recommend? Thank you.
Hi,
I am also taking biology and chemistry a level (OCR). I have adopted the revision techniques that I used at GCSE which are: write out notes (this helps me take in and process the information taught in a lesson, and I use textbooks and school work) and do lots and lots of practice questions (this helps to solidify what I have learned.) The thing about practice questions is that people often focus on the questions, but the key to learning is actually in the mark scheme: analyze and read over every single answer, as ultimately this is what the examiner will be looking at when marking.

The important thing is this may not work for everyone, it really is a case of trial and error to see what works for you.

Good luck!
Dat1Guy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joanna_m123)
Hi,
I am also taking biology and chemistry a level (OCR). I have adopted the revision techniques that I used at GCSE which are: write out notes (this helps me take in and process the information taught in a lesson, and I use textbooks and school work) and do lots and lots of practice questions (this helps to solidify what I have learned.) The thing about practice questions is that people often focus on the questions, but the key to learning is actually in the mark scheme: analyze and read over every single answer, as ultimately this is what the examiner will be looking at when marking.

The important thing is this may not work for everyone, it really is a case of trial and error to see what works for you.

Good luck!
Exactly! Couldn't emphasise the mark-scheme thing enough. I got 3 A*s, inc. chem (OCR) + physics. When you go into the exam you should know the exact things they are looking for, i.e. if it's a 3 market, 3 bullet point answer- no waffle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (29)
24.58%
Unhappy (35)
29.66%
Conflicted (54)
45.76%

Watched Threads