The Student Room Group

Msc Computer Science / Msc Advanced Computer Science

Hi guys,

I am currently working in a data analyst position and wish to take my career to the next level. I have an undergraduate degree in History (2:1) and have been contemplating a Masters in computer science, either a conversion course or not. I am currently working through various self-taught courses learning Python/Machine Learning and R for data science - I am actively learning as much as I can, but without the degree to back it up, it would appear I don't have much of a chance.

I really want to get into Data Science/Software Development but it would appear my experience as a data analyst only gets me so far - with most higher paid jobs requiring a degree in Maths/Computer Science.

What do you think my best approach is to getting into these higher paying, more specific roles? I have looked at several conversion courses and whilst they seem good, I feel that they may not give me the edge that a non-conversion course would get me.

A lot of the non-conversion courses require an undergraduate in Computer Science/Maths etc, but some will take students on who have industry experience.

I suppose my underlying question is:

Is a masters conversion course seen as impressive by prospective employers?
Would a non-conversion masters be too difficult for someone who has not done the CS undergraduate?

Please let me know if you need anymore information - Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending