maniccrammer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What do unis look for on an application aside from grades? I didn't do DofE but I'm hoping to do an EPQ in my 2nd year of sixth form, I need other stuff to put on my application when I get to that point but what is good? Ideally I want to attend Oxbridge so I need to stand out but I'm stuck on ideas
****Craic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should maybe start tutoring younger pupils in your subjects, that’s always a good thing to show that you’re passionate about your subjects.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maniccrammer)
What do unis look for on an application aside from grades? I didn't do DofE but I'm hoping to do an EPQ in my 2nd year of sixth form, I need other stuff to put on my application when I get to that point but what is good? Ideally I want to attend Oxbridge so I need to stand out but I'm stuck on ideas
The idea above is a good one about tutoring younger pupils in your subject - or helping out at homework club would also look good, if your school has one. I'm not convinced about starting an EPQ in year 13 - I think they're better started and completed in Year 12, so you can concentrate on preparing for your exams in Year 13.
CreativeDreamer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Oxbridge EPQ is good, and reading some research papers (from jstor or a similar site) and putting those in/ what you found interesting about them also works Own study/ project work looks good as well. Work experience is useful (depending on degree) and if you’ve got opportunities to enter competitions that’d be something to add on.

Basically anything to make you stand out from the crowd
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The long and short of it is that for many universities will just accept you based on your grades (this does very much depend on the course tho) - your personal statement will be read but if you're above the grade requirements you'll probably be accepted. For more competitive universities, the way to stand out is to show you have a clear interest in your subject which you dedicate your time too. This doesn't mean doing loads of extra-curricular activities - no one has ever got into Oxbridge simply for having gold DofE. Reading lots about your subject is the most important thing you can do. If you do find some activity or event you attend relating to your subject the only way it will help is if you can explain how it's furthered your interest in studying it.

For Oxbridge it's of course most important to do well in the admissions test and interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads