Are repressed memories real? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I remember the last time I asked about my discomfort at having things touching my neck, somebody mentioned repressed memories. I literally cannot stand anything on my neck. Even when I'm in the very last stages of REM sleep lol if I feel a strand of hair on my neck, I will break out of sleep and brush it off. Scarves make me feel as though I'm choking. When I was really young and my social anxiety was at its height, I remember standing stock still while on public transport. The collar of my coat was brushing against my neck but I didn't want to move it out of the way, so I literally held my breath, my chest was all tensed up from straining lmao because I was just so uncomfortable.

Now, my question isn't really about that. I just want to know what you guys think about repressed memories? I don't doubt that people block out memories that they don't want to relive, however, I believe that this person is doing so consciously. As in, if something very traumatic happened to me in my childhood, I would remember it, I would just try hard not to. Is it possible to have something happen to you but GENUINELY not even remember that it did, because it was so traumatic?
Briandeanh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There's no "real" scientific evidence of repressed memories. Not that it doesn't exist just no conclusive proof.

Lots of people have similar types of issue as you though, it's just an area that mentally or physically is sensitive to you. The brains a weird little thing.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I remember the last time I asked about my discomfort at having things touching my neck, somebody mentioned repressed memories. I literally cannot stand anything on my neck. Even when I'm in the very last stages of REM sleep lol if I feel a strand of hair on my neck, I will break out of sleep and brush it off. Scarves make me feel as though I'm choking. When I was really young and my social anxiety was at its height, I remember standing stock still while on public transport. The collar of my coat was brushing against my neck but I didn't want to move it out of the way, so I literally held my breath, my chest was all tensed up from straining lmao because I was just so uncomfortable.

Now, my question isn't really about that. I just want to know what you guys think about repressed memories? I don't doubt that people block out memories that they don't want to relive, however, I believe that this person is doing so consciously. As in, if something very traumatic happened to me in my childhood, I would remember it, I would just try hard not to. Is it possible to have something happen to you but GENUINELY not even remember that it did, because it was so traumatic?
i think its possible that people repress memories without really meaning to, i repressed a lot of memories after my dad died as a child and didn't 100% consciously make that decision.
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Without a doubt it is possible, I don't have a single memory of my parents being together before their divorce, 8 years of lost memories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (215)
60.06%
No (143)
39.94%

Watched Threads