The Student Room Group

Is Formula One popular?

Seems like nobody watches F1 these days unless to watch Lewis Hamilton in the British Grand Prix.

I have been watching every season for a few years now and think motorsport has all the controversy and debate of football or rugby! Granted, the major teams are pretty corrupt and on some tracks you may as well be watching scalextric with the lack of passes...

Are there any (student) F1 fans out there?

And, do you think F1 is what it used to be?
There's an official F1 thread here where you'll get more responses from when you post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5659440&p=81724104&page=9&highlight=f1#post81724104

Viewing figures have declined in general over the years, but last year saw an increase overall and in most of the specific races.
For UK, It doesn't help that Sky have an exclusive deal to air live races until (2023?) which means we also can't access F1 TV.

It's also not easy to overlook the fact that there was a lot of mercedes dominance and very little competition for a while, so with F1 being a spectator sport - if there's no action on track, a lot of people have no reason to watch, hence one of the driving forces behind the new 2019 regulations to try and take the sport in a new direction.

I also wouldn't say the top teams are corrupt, it's just more of a case of the financial distribution model of F1 is unfair.
The top teams spend lots more on R&D, have a lot more staff, facilities, infrastrucuture etc and win a lot more money.
Mercedes spent over £300 million in 2017/2018. This isn't the kind of money that lower teams have at their disposal, so naturally they are limited with what they are able to do.

That's just my quick two cents on it.
For what it's worth, I am a (student) F1 fan.
Reply 2
avid merc fan from 2010. Alonso, ham and lecrec hold special places in my heart
No its boring af
Reply 4
I can understand that it's just cars going round in circles, but the wheel to wheel racing, along with crashes :smile: makes it interesting
I’ve only followed it from part way through 2019, Leclerc fan and it has hooked me already, even if it is Ham Bot Ver every week!
Yes, so long as you're not a supporter of Lewis Hamilton.

Quick Reply

Latest