anoymous77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
1) I want to study medicine and am thinking of applying to cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Edinburgh. Am i aiming too high and should i apply to some lower ranking uni's? Or does it not matter because they all have similar percentages of applicants getting offers?

2) I am doing lots of sciency extracurriclars eg reading, lectures, essay competions, nuffield project and an epq. I also have sufficient volenteering and work experience. However i have no extracurricular activities eg sports or music. I've heard that cambridge don't care but that its very important for Imperial. Does it matter that i have no extracurriculars?

Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anoymous77)
1) I want to study medicine and am thinking of applying to cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Edinburgh. Am i aiming too high and should i apply to some lower ranking uni's? Or does it not matter because they all have similar percentages of applicants getting offers?
There are no "higher" or "lower" ranked Unis. You should apply stategically instead of because of rankings or prestige. Cambridge had lower competition compared to Brighton Sussex in this table from a few years ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios

All medical degrees are the same for practising in the UK, there is no discrimination at specialty applications and no patients will ask "where did you graduate, doctor". It's so competitive anyway that many applicants will be grateful if they have one offer anywhere!

2) I am doing lots of sciency extracurriclars eg reading, lectures, essay competions, nuffield project and an epq. I also have sufficient volenteering and work experience. However i have no extracurricular activities eg sports or music. I've heard that cambridge don't care but that its very important for Imperial. Does it matter that i have no extracurriculars?
Not really. I wouldn't waste time starting an extra-curricular activity, if you haven't got one already. If you have, that's great.

Remember that you need to meet requirements : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf - EC activity is not really mentioned there. Make sure your UKCAT / BMAT scores are high and you actually get your A-Level grades!
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anoymous77)

Thanks!
If you have an academic extracurricular that still counts e.g. helping those struggling with science, or join a random sports club in school/somewhere lol.
Cambridge is the 'least competitive' but it is bloody difficult considering the applicants applying - is a good goal, if you like the uni and teaching style . Maybe wise to have a couple of safer options, as potentially all these offers may be above A*AA (unless you smash your Imperial interview), so maybe one of UCL/imperial or drop edin (no interview, look at their selectors handbook on edin uni website - a points based system which would inform you) - just my opinion, but in the end the best judge of how you can do in a levels, interviews etc. is you. just consider the fact that an offer anywhere in the country is the goal, so would advise at least one safer,AAA course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.96%
I'm not sure (31)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (212)
32.17%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (310)
47.04%

Watched Threads