The Student Room Group

Is Law at King's College really worth it for an international student?

So I'm an international student who recently just received a conditional offer from King's to study Law and as you can imagine, I was super excited...until I saw the tuition. The course is £23 490 a year and subject to increases. WOW. I don't know why I never even bothered to check the tuition! My parents told me that since I got excellent grades I could chose whatever university I wanted and they would take me there, but I never expected the tuition to be so high. I assumed it would be around £15000 as that's just the general amount an international student is expected to pay. I guess I naively assumed that this applied to every course. Damnit. Not to mention accommodation at King's is around £250 a week. I know that if my parents really want to they could pay the tuition, but I don't want to stress them out and empty their pockets...that's a hell of a lot of money! Not to mention, they have my siblings to worry about too. So what I really want to know is...is King's College London really worth it? Is the law course that great? If I do well could it really open lots of doors for me in the future? Is this university and this course worth my parents coughing up over £23 490 a year?? Anyone currently studying at King's or a similar uni is welcome to reply. It's worth mentioning that I also got into Durham, Leeds, and have an interview with York next week. Still waiting to hear from Bristol. Thanks!
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Law university courses forum - the "Ask Student Finance England" forum is for domestic and EU students applying for finance from SFE to get answers from the SFE representatives/staff (as an alternative to calling their hotline) about issues with applying for and receiving funding from SFE.

Hopefully someone in this forum will be able to advise you :smile: You may also want to look at some other threads in this forum and the International Lounge forum to help inform your decision making.
(edited 5 years ago)
Where are you from, and what universities have given you offers in your own country?
Original post by Babycakes5
So I'm an international student who recently just received a conditional offer from King's to study Law and as you can imagine, I was super excited...until I saw the tuition. The course is £23 490 a year and subject to increases. WOW. I don't know why I never even bothered to check the tuition! My parents told me that since I got excellent grades I could chose whatever university I wanted and they would take me there, but I never expected the tuition to be so high. I assumed it would be around £15000 as that's just the general amount an international student is expected to pay. I guess I naively assumed that this applied to every course. Damnit. Not to mention accommodation at King's is around £250 a week. I know that if my parents really want to they could pay the tuition, but I don't want to stress them out and empty their pockets...that's a hell of a lot of money! Not to mention, they have my siblings to worry about too. So what I really want to know is...is King's College London really worth it? Is the law course that great? If I do well could it really open lots of doors for me in the future? Is this university and this course worth my parents coughing up over £23 490 a year?? Anyone currently studying at King's or a similar uni is welcome to reply. It's worth mentioning that I also got into Durham, Leeds, and have an interview with York next week. Still waiting to hear from Bristol. Thanks!

KCL is pretty famous globally, so probably.
It's £18300 a year for durham, which is the other 'comparable uni' on your list. That isn't as much, but still a really good school.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending