panda4419
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm planning on taking maths and further maths so far and I was thinking of taking politics (it would be on edexcel) but I've seen that it is extremely essay based e.g. 45 markers. Essays are definitely not my strong point however the content interests me a lot. What is it like? Is it very content heavy? Should I take politics if I don't like writing essays that much?
Last edited by panda4419; 1 year ago
apk200
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by panda4419)
I'm planning on taking maths and further maths so far and I was thinking of taking politics (it would be on edexcel) but I've seen that it is extremely essay based e.g. 45 markers. Essays are definitely not my strong point however the content interests me a lot. Should I take politics?
The 45 markers were the old spec. The new spec only contains 12 markers, 24 markers and 30 markers. It’s a very interesting course and my knowledge on politics has improved exponentially in comparison to when I first started knowing nothing. It does require independent research for real world examples but it’s v enjoyable. You should consider if the subject is useful for your future degree. Or if you enjoy politics and want to broaden your political knowledge.
my_man_123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do Edexcel Politics. It is essay based in entirety, they took out all of the lower mark questions, I believe a 12 marker is the smallest now.

There are 30 markers to assess sources and you need to have a decent interest in Politics.

If you are taking Maths and FM, probably best to just stick to two sciences rather than expanding out to essay subjects.
panda4419
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by apk200)
The 45 markers were the old spec. The new spec only contains 12 markers, 24 markers and 30 markers. It’s a very interesting course and my knowledge on politics has improved exponentially in comparison to when I first started knowing nothing. It does require independent research for real world examples but it’s v enjoyable. You should consider if the subject is useful for your future degree. Or if you enjoy politics and want to broaden your political knowledge.
(Original post by my_man_123)
I do Edexcel Politics. It is essay based in entirety, they took out all of the lower mark questions, I believe a 12 marker is the smallest now.

There are 30 markers to assess sources and you need to have a decent interest in Politics.

If you are taking Maths and FM, probably best to just stick to two sciences rather than expanding out to essay subjects.
Thank you for the advice! Do you have any knowledge of a level economics or psychology? I have tried finding past papers for those subjects (as well as politics) but evidently have been looking at the old spec, is there a place to find the new spec past papers?
apk200
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by panda4419)
Thank you for the advice! Do you have any knowledge of a level economics or psychology? I have tried finding past papers for those subjects (as well as politics) but evidently have been looking at the old spec, is there a place to find the new spec past papers?
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2017.html

That’s the link for the new spec. I do a level psychology. We do the edexcel spec as well. It’s gr8 but there is a lot content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads