The Student Room Group

Maths Gcse help and advice!

Hello everyone! I am currently in year 11 and I need to achieve a min grade 6 in maths for my GCSEs. I REALLY struggle with maths and get grades 4s and 3s most of the time. I obviously cannot do foundation as I cannot get higher than a 5 and I need the 6. all people tell me s practice practice practice. which i guess is true but i just dont know how??? like I'm guessing past papers but I keep getting nightmares of my math results only being a 5 and I really need a 6 and I won't be allowed to retake maths as I would have passed! does anyone have any advice they can give me and I'm scared that it is too late now and I won't manage to make a difference to my grades? BTW i do Edexcel maths and my school provide me with Hegarty maths. Many people tell me to basically do the whole of Hegarty maths and do past papers. Is that a good way of doing it? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Doing all of hegarty maths would have the advantage of exposing you to a lot of different types of questions and situations,but some methods dont work for everyone. I would ask your teacher for advice on what you can do to improve your grade.
Original post by fh2712
Hello everyone! I am currently in year 11 and I need to achieve a min grade 6 in maths for my GCSEs. I REALLY struggle with maths and get grades 4s and 3s most of the time. I obviously cannot do foundation as I cannot get higher than a 5 and I need the 6. all people tell me s practice practice practice. which i guess is true but i just dont know how??? like I'm guessing past papers but I keep getting nightmares of my math results only being a 5 and I really need a 6 and I won't be allowed to retake maths as I would have passed! does anyone have any advice they can give me and I'm scared that it is too late now and I won't manage to make a difference to my grades? BTW i do Edexcel maths and my school provide me with Hegarty maths. Many people tell me to basically do the whole of Hegarty maths and do past papers. Is that a good way of doing it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi. I got a 9 in maths for GCSE, Edexcel as well. Doing maths and further maths in a level. One of the main things is to identify what's keeping you from getting that 6 and those higher grades.

Is it because you don't know how to do certain questions or you just make loads of mistakes. If it's due to not knowing all the content, obviously learning everything else and becoming confident with it is what you need to target. If it's making loads of mistakes, then past papers and practise is what's needed.

If you need more help or advice or clarification, I'm here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest